Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dredd

Win2k Shares, Need Help

I have this share that I have had up for months now, and it is not working now. I am on a school's network sharing my MP3 drive with someone else. The share keeps telling me access is denied. I have checked to make sure the user is added and the share is correct. That other person can access other shares just not this MP3 share. What can keep giving blocking them from accessing this drive?

------------------

Dredd

Webmaster of DreddNews

http://www.dreddnews.com

Have you checked your NTFS permissions?

------------------

Regards,

clutch

have the servers for certain workgroups been changed...this happened to me a couple days ago with my mapped drives at school.

maybe you should "contact your administrator"

lol

jk

NTFS Permissions are set up for the user too. I asked administrator and we are still set up same as before. Still can't figure out how some shares work on folders but this share of an entire MP3 drive does not work???

------------------

Dredd

Webmaster of DreddNews

Well, if the directories weren't moved (if the share is really valid), I would make sure that the share permissions and the NTFS permissions both allow for the same person to get in. I generally set shares to "everyone:full control", which is the default, to alleviate this kind of confusion. In addition, you say that this person can access other shares on your Win2K box, and not the MP3 share? I would definately check the validity of the share, and make sure that no permissions countermand each other.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Hello,

First I would not reccommend setting everyone to full control. This is just bad practice. Set the permission to change for the everyone group. This prevents anyone except admins from changing the permissions. Also remember that if no access is selected in the permissions, it does not matter what you do, anyone within that criteria will be denyed access to the share. For example if everyone is set to no access, but user bob has full control then bob will not have access.

I think the best thing you can do is to turn on the auditing for that directory. Log everything relevant so you can get all the needed information. When you find the problem, then turn off the auditing so you do not flood your security logs.

Hope this helps,

RY

Actually, I would recommend setting everyone to full control over the share. Then, you use NTFS permissions to lock the directory. Now, if someone is having problems with connecting to a share, then setting both the NTFS and share permissions to "Everyone:Full Control" will reset all of the affiliated ACL (Access Control Lists) and once successfully connected, you can then reassign all the permissions that you want, preferably using NTFS due to its stability. Share permissions are the WORST to use to limit access, due to the fact that if you share out one directory to "admin", then share out a parent directory later on to a lesser group, that group can traverse the directories and get to the more "secure" one. If you use NTFS permissions, this doesn't become a factor. Also, if you have overlapping NTFS and Share permissions, the most RESTRICTIVE of the two will be enforced. It just makes it easier to not assign share level permissions when you have the power of NTFS available.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Well I played with it more and more. Removed the shares account and the permissions. Added them back in. And what do you know it began to work. I really appreciate all the help from everyone!! Thanks again, this message board always fixes my problems.

------------------

Dredd

Webmaster of DreddNews