Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
macawgumbo

FEDORA CORE 1 (kernel 2.4) & NFORCE2 CHIPSET

Quote:
i got nvnet to work and whatever else was in nvidia's driver suite. It seems to work fine, so I think i'll leave it until i learn a little more about upgrading the kernel and recompiling the drivers into it.

At least look into upgrading the sound system to ALSA at some point, it's on a whole different planet than the nvaudio driver nVidia supply.

Quote:
I looked at th /boot/config file and nforcewas not set. Did I mistakingly assume that they are not compiled into the kernel?

I had a look through my on 2.6 config file and the only thing I could find in it that directly related to nForce was the nForce2 I2C module which is only needed if your board has a sensor chip that connects via the SMBus. As my chip (a Winbond W83627HF) connects to the ISA bus I don't need it and have it disabled. What does need to be present is support for AMD74XX IDE controllers (nForce2 IDE support is tied up in this driver) and AGP_NVIDIA (needed if you want hardware 3D acceleration though if you have an nVidia graphics card it isn't strictly necessary). SND_INTEL8X0 support also has to be in there as well if you plan on using the onboard audio. All of this stuff should be in there requiring you to only add the nVidia LAN and whatever drivers you need for your graphics card.