Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mr-frosty

win2000 & Solaris on same network??

is this possible?????? i'm a bit of a newbie to the w2k and solaris networking but they have been discussing it at work. I heard nt4 and solaris are fine, but w2k has a higher encription level which solaris can't use or something like that?????? do any of you gurus know if this is true and shed some light on the subject, as i'm trying to prove a point with my boss!!!!!! smile

if this has already been discussed, pls don't flame me, just point me in the right direction!!!!!!! smile

[This message has been edited by mr-frosty (edited 19 March 2001).]

I think "Samba" is what you are looking for. The default for pre-SP3 NT4 and Win95 systems was to broadcast first in encryption, then in clear text. After SP3 and in later versions of 9x, that was taken out and all broadcasts are encrypted (as far as user credentials are concerned). Basically, there are a couple of ways to get SMB traffic to work between NT and *nix;

1. Hack registry on NT/9x boxes to broadcast in clear text (not so hot) and...

2. Setup Samba to allow for encrypted user credentials to be used.

A properly setup samba box can behave as a WINS box and even a domain controller. *nix boxes will show up in Network Neighborhood as well. Here is a link to help you on your way:

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/

HTH

------------------

Regards,

clutch

i understand samba is used for NT/solaris networking (thats what we use at work at present, but what about w2k???? is there any incompatibility probs there?????

I have an AD Win2k network here at work.

We also have 3 LINUX machines running SAMBA.

We did have a few problems to start with.

First the SAMBA machines wanted to be involved too much with general network jobs.

They announced themselves as Master Browsers forcing elections all over the place etc.

We sorted this issue out with the SAMBA config.

The LINUX machines emulate themselves as WinNT 4 servers, but with services such as 'I can be a Master Browser' and/or 'I hold a list of Servers' disabled.

You wont have any serious problems, just don't let them play too much in the network.

WinNT/2K and 9x all rely on the same smb strategy. So, yes, they will all talk to Linux using Samba in the same manner.

Samba takes a bit to get used to, but it works fairly well.

------------------

Regards,

clutch