Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Allegro

Login as User?

For a stand-alone home machine with only 1 user, is there any benefit, either performance or security-wise, to set yourself a personal account (User/Power-User) instead of being logged in as Administrator all the time?

The benefit comes from not having your Administrator account become corrupted. There is always a risk of corrupting some of the files in a profile while you are using it. While this is a bit less likely in 2000 than in previous versions, it still happens.

Because of this, it is best to create a seperate account and only use your Administrator account if needed.

It prevents bad programms from wrecking your profile, which I suspect APK's win2k toolkit does.

[note: Not sure, only thing is it happend twice after removing his tools from my system. %userprofile% was no longer recognised]

It depends ...

On how paranoid you are :P

If its only you using the machine I would automate the logon process and blank the password. it then essentially boots up like 95 with no password and straight onto the desktop. Alot of my clients like that.

I think i basicially said to them when they asked about hackers was this...

* do you leave your machine on 24 hours a day?

* will you be connected to the net in those 24 hours that its on

* are you worried about industrial espionage.

if you answer yes to those questions then by all means rename your admin logon

otherwise make it easier to use your pc..

there is no need to login when you are the only one smile..blank password is quicker because theres no encrypt and compare involved.

There SOME benefits to leaving the Administrator logon ..

Some programs hard wire this login name into their code ..bad bad bad.

Essentially lazy programmers who check that you have admin priveileges by checking the login name ..(i've only seen this in some shareware stuff)

When the correct way to do it is to check to see if the person is in the Administrators group. I assume these programmers came from a 95 environment.

just my thoughts smile