Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ironman666

logon

hi everyone. i have profiles setup in winME. whenever someone comes over, i tell them to simply click on "Cancel" when they see the logon prompt. and that, obviously, takes you to the "default" profile. i have, however, noticed something weird with the user accounts. if i accidentally hit enter W/O typing in my password, a prompt called "Welcome to Windows" comes up with my username and a blank password. if i hit Escape, or Cancel button, then it goes straight to my profile. that seems weird to me because 1) i never typed my password (or anything in the password field for that matter) and 2) i would think that windows9x/ME would say "incorrect password" like winnt/2k. is this just me or is this a known thing with win9x/ME? and if it is a known thing, then is there a way to fix it?

Syed Ahmad

i do have a password for my account. but if its something i can't fix then i'll just live with it. i would love to be in win2k, but the reason why i stopped using win2k was because of loading time, diskspace, and better game support. winme offers all that and its pretty stable. so, if you can actually help out, then please reply.

Syed Ahmad

listen man, WinME is not secure, there's no reason to have accounts on Winme unless you want each user to have their own pretty background/theme. And no, you can't fix the insecurities of Win9x.

ok, you guys answered my question. i'll go ahead and "pretend". man, everyone here is getting uptight. do you guys always get so uptime and sentimental over win9X questions?

Syed

hey i run win 9.x but i don't expect it to be secure nor should you i don't think i am uptight

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Triple Boot

Windows 2000 Pro 2195

Windows Whistler Pro 2296

Windows Millennium Final Retail

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

512 Megs Ram

Guillemot Maxi Gammer Cougar (TNT2 M64 w/ 32 Megs of RAM)

Matrox Millennium PCI (w/ 4 Megs of RAM for second monitor)

3Com Etherlink XL 10/100 Ethernet Card

Abit Hot Rod Pro ATA-100 RAID Controler

2 x 12.6 Gig Maxtor Hard Disks RAID 0 (for system)

1 76.3 Gig Maxtor Hard Disk (for storage)

40X LG CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Iomega Internal Zip Drive

MS Explorer Mouse

MS Natural Keyboard Pro

And not a single peice of software that I actually own

win9x isn't meant to be secure, i know that. i never once mentioned security. i logon to win9x because i have a nic card and so i can have access to other computers on the network. i didn't ask the question for security reasons, i asked the question out of curiosity...i'm the only one who even logs onto my pc (even when i had win2k i was the only one).

syed

Syed, if the profiles aren't being used for anything and having someone else use yours isn't a problem, you may want to use something like TweakUI to auto-login for you (I haven't used ME so I don't know if this is a feature.) I would imagine since such a feature is built into Windows 2000, it would probably exist in ME.