Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
linuxdave

Monitor working out of frequency range

I have the live eval CD of SuSE Linux 8.1 that came with a magazine.

I made the boot disk, and the modules disks, configuration goes OK, except for stepping over printer detection because the PC freezes.

After finishing configuration the last line of text I read is something like welcome to SuSE linux and then the monitor blacks out and a window of "power management" shows with a count down to turn off the monitor and says that the monitor is working out of frequency range (30 to 70 KHz) and it shows 79.9KHz. That is close to the top limit (80KHz) of my Graphics card (ATI Rage 128). The monitor is a LG Studioworks 775N. The PC is PIII - 800Mhz. 128MB RAM. What can I do? I am eager to try Linux.

I wonder also if it is possible to install the SuSE CD in the PC, I have partitioned the HD in 3 parts: a 10GB (C smile where I have Windows 98SE and all programs and two 5GB parts (D: and E smile that are empty now. Sure is better to run the Linux from the HD instead of the CD-ROM Drive

tnx

linuxdave

One or the other. Either it does not like the monitor (which my guess is) or the video card. Sounds like it is trying to configure the wrong vert. or horiz. frequency for the monitor.

This is an evaluation copy of SuSe, which I hear is not designed to be placed on the hard drive.

If you want to try a CD based version (more up to date) of Linux, try Mepis or Knoppix. Both can be installed on a hard drive if you like it. If one of these run well, then you know the answer is that the SuSe version did not support you hardware properly. If you have the same issue, then you know that using Linux with this monitor will be a problem.

But, I'm willing to bet that Mepis or Knoppix will work.

Let us know if either one works, then we can go from there.

Tnx Danleff, I have dual feelings about, this, my dual OS project if is the SuSE, pity 'cause pof what I have read, seems that SuSE is the best or the one that better looks to me. On the other side, I don´t want to buy another monitor....

Any suggestions for a site where I can download the other distros?

linuxdave

Tnx Maillion, interesting page...

Danleff, I checked on a couple HCL pages, URLs:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/index.php

http://www.collaborium.org/onsite/venezuela/docs/linux/Linux_HOWTOS/PDF/Hardware-HOWTO.pdf

I couldn't find anything about monitors, but about my graphics card said it is compatible, at least with RH and Mandrake 9.1, compatibility rating was 10, anothing about SuSE... It seems ATI cards have been always a headache anyway smile

I will leave tonite the PC downloading the Knoppix, will tell you what happens

linuxdave