Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JBoDEAN

What beta version has run best?

uhhhhh, maybe the latest? lol

Beta 2 (2462) runs awesome, I use it as my primary OS now

I'll have to agree with JDul on this one. I highly recommend beta 2 (2462). They fixed so many problems in this release. Windows Media Player 8 is actually useful in this release.

ok, but has anyone tried a Hollywood plus dvd decoder card with it, 2446 won't run mine.

I use 2458 as my main OS. I think it is just as good as Beta 2 stability wise but lacks the few added features that Beta 2 has. -Aaron

the H+ card won't run until Sigmadesigns come out with new drivers that support this OS otherwise it won't work.

Get the latest design from Sigma Designs' website, they work fine under Windows 2000 and therefore WinXP. I use their drivers to run my Creative DVD and MPEG card, which would otherwise be useless because Creative don't support Win2K (apart from the SBLive).

Russell

Just a question RussellWild: Have you actually tested this one out? On the 9x front, drivers for 98 didnt always work for ME.

Not to harrass you or anything, but your logic wasnt really...logical.

Yeah i think that these people are allready using those drivers and that is the problem. Win2K drivers should work in xp and most do. but some will have to be rewritten for one reason or another.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jdulmage:
uhhhhh, maybe the latest? lol

Beta 2 (2462) runs awesome, I use it as my primary OS now
</font>

All I can say is M$ must have been listening to my rants about XP being so slow, lol! Just installed beta 2 2462 and all I can say is WOW!!~~ It auto installed all the drivers for my devices and set them up during the install -- first time this is ever happened with any OS ive used. After installation, I had all my driver CD's (which btw is a stack of cd's of about twenty, lol) ready for install and whats this???... Everything was already to go after install!!! Nothing had to be manualy set-up!!~~

I don't even have my ATA100 controller/HD in this system, only using ATA33 on a crap OEM HD for the time being and can't believe how fast it is!!~~ In beta 1 (2416) it was horrible, everything felt like it was loading from a floppy, lol! Ok, hehe, to make a loooooooooooong story short, Beta 2 has made me a true believer of XP!! I think i'm in with JD with using it at a primary OS! Now if they can drop the easily cracked wink activation fud, this os would be god~send.

Beta 2 = Kickass !!! Cya in the trash-can WinMe laugh

[This message has been edited by Questionnaire (edited 31 March 2001).]

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Questionnaire:
In beta 1 (2416) it was horrible, everything felt like it was loading from a floppy</font>

beta 1 was build 2296 released on oct 31. 2416 was an interim released Jan 23. 2416 is a far cry from beta 1

Oh, you know what I mean!

2416 = Junk

2462 = Awesume !!!

To make it "perfect" all they have to do is lighen up with the "easily cracked" activation fud laugh

Well, my dad's getting the Beta 2 sent to him, but he's gonna let me try it out after that. Any words of wisdom for this besides Good Luck?

Use a spare HD to test or BACKUP your system first just incase you have a compadibility problem between your system and XP so that you wont mess up any important files on your system. Mabye do what I did and d/l all the win2k drivers you can for all your componets and have them ready if you need them. (if your a gamer, you'll probably wanna test different ones for speed anyways)

I personally have a few more games/apps to test out, make sure they all work. Then if they do (everything ive ran so far has worked prime), i'm gonna do a clean format/install of XP on my main system. Games so far seem fast! This build blows the doors off the other one I had! Graphic quality isnt as good as Winme yet though.....Like to see nVidia whip us up some tuned WinXp drivers wink For "beta testing" that is, hehe.

Look MOM! I'm cool like jdulmage!! Im a' beta tester, lol wink

This is on my test system, so if things go screwy, I havent lost anything other than time. My main rig will run Win2k for some time unless I see the worth of XP. I might as well see how things run with it, so I dont go something dumb like I did when I got ME.

The system XP will run on:

P3 667

Tyan Trinity 400

320 MB ram

Voodoo 3 3000 AGP

SB 16 PCI OEM

Western Digital 17.2 GB ATA66 5400 RPM

WD 2.5 GB ATA33 4500 RPM (for Mp3s)

Realtek 8029 PCI NIC

Toshiba 6x DVD

floppy, etc. ...

Ive got a dual boot with ME and 2k right now, but if I end up and reformat, ME will go, so I'll have the space for Linux if I dual boot between XP and 2k.

Im still sticking with the V3 just because its compatible with lots of things still and it still works. If it dies, I'll just snag a dual head GF2MX card.