Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PsychoSword

Updating Windows 2000

Everytime I use Windows Update now it says "Download and installation failed" everytime I try to use the update feature to download the latest fixes and updates. Why is it doing this?

yes it says on MS's windows update site how ot fix that error check there and see if you cant find the solution. I know it requires deleting some cookies and things.

Hmm, I can't seem to find the article. But, I always delete all my temp files and cookies and stuff....:( Something is messed I think.

odd it used to be up there i dont know what happened to it. But yeah try deleting your temp files and cookies. If that doesnt work then i guess you will have to just manually update.

Ok, that sounds like a good idea. I'll delete any Active X controls and delete the contents of my Windows Update folder.

Darn, I can't find the folder that activeX controls are in Windows 2000, does anyone know where they are?

In IE, go to Tools -> Internet Options

In the temporary internet files section, click "Settings..."

Click "View objects..."

That will show all installed plugins including downloaded activex controls. Remove them all.

--

Xiven

Well folks, that didn't do it. I deleted the content of my windows update folder and removed all the ActiveX controls. God damnit this is pissing me off. I thank everyone for their help though.