Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
emthompson

Memory Performance

I have a Thunderbird 1ghz with 384mb of pc 133 ram. I am having a problem with the performance of my ram. When I run the performance benchmark in SiSoft Sandra I get marks that look like this.

Int ALU/RAM Bandwidth 374 MB/s

Float FPU/RAM Bandwidth 398 MB/s

The reference system that I'm using is an Athlon 1ghz KT133, w/256MB

It posts numbers that look like this

Int ALU/RAM Bandwidth 434 MB/s

Float FPU/RAM Bandwidth 521 MB/s

Now I really wouldn't have a problem with the difference in these numbers if hadn't noticed that my system wasn't running up to par. My page file size is set to 64mb. I think that this is the optimal setting because the peak under performance in the task manager comes close to the limit but doesn't exceed it.

I have no idea of what else to do in order to get the memory running like it should. If any one can give me any suggestions on how I could increase the performance that would be great.

well what OS is the test system on?? And 64mb SWAP FILE?!?!?! I set mine to at least 700 with 384mb of RAM.

I am running WIn2k. I read that you want your page file to be as small as possible but not so small that your applications exceed the size. I did have it at 500mb, after I switched it to 64mb I noticed a dramatic increase in the performance. With the page file so low I guess that the system accesses the RAM sooner (I read this and I'm not to sure how it works.) I will change it to 300mb and see if that gives me better or worse performance.

------------------

Soyo K7VTA

T-bird 1ghz

384mb pc 133

GeForce2 GTS 64mb ddr

Maxtor 30gb 7200

Western Digital 30gb 7200

I use (and have always used) small page files as well. It's been a big boost in performance for all of my systems.