Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dohcan

QuickTime/Media Player reboots

Hey guys, I've got a problem here.. I recently installed Win2K and everything works, except QuickTime and Media Player cause my computer to reboot spontaneously whenever I am viewing a movie (or listening to sound/viewing movie in Media Player). I have QuickTime v5.0 installed, Media Player 7, DirectX 8.0a, IE5.5, Service Pack 1, and all of the updates from Windows Update.

My system:

Abit BH6

Celeron 300A

192MB Atlas Precision RAM

Riva TNT

Soundblaster AWE64

IBM and Maxtor HD's

Enlight case/power supply

also using the 6.50 NVIDIA reference drivers from their homepage.

I've had this system for 3 years and it's been rock solid, so I don't think there is a particular problem with my hardware. I've also noticed on the QuickTime forums that people have had the same problems. If I go into Control Panel > QuickTime > Video Settings and choose 'Safe Mode', it fixes the QuickTime problems. Media Player still causes it to reboot, most notably whenever I hover over an icon in the system tray to bring up a tooltip (yes, I know, sounds weird) while viewing content. It seems like a DirectX problem to me. Also, just about all of the people who've had this problem that I've seen, have an NVIDIA card and 440BX motherboard.

If I should have posted this to hardware, I'm sorry. But I am only having it in these two programs and so are other people, so I don't think it's a hardware problem.

Anyone else having these problems, and better, anyone know how to fix it? smile

BTW, I ordered an SB Live! sound card (not because of this though..) and it should be here in a couple of days, if anyone knows if that makes a difference.

it has to do with your vid card drivers update them to 12.00 WHQL and you will be fine.

Yeah, get some newer drivers than that. Those are pretty old.

And thanx for not multiposting...

My card (Riva TNT) is not listed in the list of cards. Only TNT2 and up is listed. =/

Hey guys, I managed to get the 10.80 drivers installed for my TNT and it seems to have worked. Thanks everyone. smile