Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Frank

Like WinXP?

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

So whats up with XP? Im beta testing it, and so far Im not feeling very compelled to go to it yet. Im wondering how everyone else feels about it.

Where's the:

YES, but I wish they would include REAL features and fix bugs that have existed since DOS. mad

For instance one little itty bitty example: UNDELETE. Amazing huh?

or the Yes, but it will remain a dual-boot until I get the RTM.

laugh

While I don't really care for it, I am sure I'll be forced to use it at some point. I really like Win2K at beta 2, but I found WinXP 2462 to be feature heavy at the expense of stability.

I like XP but im sick of playing the will it work in this version game. It seems like you never know what is and what isnt going to work from build to build. One build Media Player will work but remote desktop won't or Direct X will be broken and other things will work. XP is going to kick some *** when it comes out but in the mean time im just sick of not having things work like they are supposed to.

my Hollywood Plus Decoder card and software now works flawlessly (using build 2465).

"UNDELETE" yea, i remember...it was great...but do you we really need it now? i mean, thats why you have a recycle bin, shouldn't have deleted a file in the first place if you wanted it that bad.

don't worry MS managed to break realmagic playback in 2469, who knows if it will work in newer builds. confused i just dont understand why XP is like that either.

I ll wait util RC1 is released to install on my machine..

I got bored of reinstalling every 2 months like i did with win2k beta.

The new features seem nice smile but the way the new interface is managed seems a bit cheap.

Quote:
i mean, thats why you have a recycle bin, shouldn't have deleted a file in the first place if you wanted it that bad.

LOL! Tell that to the idiot user who turns off recycle bin or empties it!

I tell the user that it should have been on his/her network folder so I could restore from backup. But they know better where I am at, so I guess the weekly public beatings have worked.

smile

It seems to be this only effects volume liscense buyers not users. It also says 'current' meaning NT kernal (2k since NT4 is officially phased out with subsequent non-release of the latest SP for NT4). So you don't have to upgrade your desktop. All in all i think that the new program is crap but MS is a business out there to make money, and since they control the whole market they can do whatever they want to and people will obey because they need the software. You will see compliance because nobody can step up to the plate to take on MS.

Money is what MS cant get enough of. I dont think they would be satisfied with world domination laugh. Plus, Im gonna have my little anti-XP rant right here: Why does MS seem to take out more and more of the good stuff. The control panel seems kinda anemic, networking blows,blah,blah...mad

Heres a big fat whiny complaint: Why is MS in such a rush to put out another OS, and then start to push it on corporations that dont need or want a new OS. A new OS every year is not a necessity. Windows2000 is a 'mature' OS, and MS is really trying to improve something they cant. The only selling point I can see is the eye candy. XP is just a s3xy version of 2k with somethings removed. End rant.

MS seems to be targeting the buisness area more that they have competition (Linux), but MS head honcho's Gates and Ballmer seem to have to badmouth Linux or any other OS that poses a threat to them, and make that OS sound evil(that would be you, Mr. Ballmer).

MS needs to take a break...so do I.

I think i'll go with door number 1. "Yes, and the beta is now my main OS." Although only because I like the fancy gui graphics. wink Honestly though, joking aside- Is XP necessary for me? Nope. It's better then what I previously run but still, what I ran for a OS before still did the job complain-free. And besides that, I'm getting sick of buying a new OS every single year, sheesh. But I think i'll snag a cheapy upgrade/promo CD of XP Home Edition or if i'm feeling rich, XP Pro just to add to the collection. smile And must admit, XP will be alot easier for newbies to use their PC's. I'm all for that.

Something else I wanted to note- Funny how my bank and insurance company both still use win95 and win98. I asked them why dont they upgrade to win2k? They both say "Are OS runs and does everything we need already."

Just my $0.02

Quote:

Here's a link on ZDNet:

http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2760413,00.html

I hope MS doesnt try to pull this bullshit, I dont think I have to upgrade if I dont want to, especially since Win2k runs just fine.
I hope this news isnt true, or we're in trouble.

MS is losing its marbles at an alarming rate. First of all, i'm not a business admin (still in high school frown ) but from what i heard, a new OS undergoes a long and thorough testing in a particular environment before a migration is even attempted to avoid any surprises half-way through. Now, we know what win2k has 2 service packs released which means that at least some bugs should be fixed (sp2 made some noticeable changes in my box as well). On the other hand we have XP which is not even RTM yet. When it comes out it will be another fresh, raw OS full of bugs and not too many businesses will consider upgrading right away (win2k wasn't accepted at first for the same reason). Even if some of them buckle under pressure and go with win2k instead (to get "current"), i highly doubt that they will be anxious to go for XP in another 8-15 months. You know what they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Another thing-if consumers(read as "lusers who don't know any better") put up with constant upgrades, there are businesses who still use win95/98 and office 95/97 and don't feel compelled to upgrade.