Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Angelkid

Need help with Windows XP install

Im trying to install Windows XP over windows me and after the first reboot, it says its coping the install programs and then asks me to insert the CD but it is already in the CD rom drive and wont let me go any further.

So I decieded to exit the setup but now every time I boot up, it wants me to pick an operating system, and goes to the setup for XP automatically first. Can I get rid of this or get past the other message ?

I downloaded the Beta version and unzipped it and then copied it to a CD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank so much.

Susan

Angelkid

#1, you wont be able to install XP over ME unless its the HOME version. #2, it is HIGHLY recommended that you either do a dual boot or do a clean install. The reason for this is that you'll have a lot less problems than if you do this.

You wont be able to get rid of the screen easily. You may be able to change a boot record or something, but Im not sure. The other alternative is to reformat your hard drive.

Also, which beta is it? There are several out, and that will help us out too.

Unless XP completes the setup, you cant do anything about that OS choosing screen, called a bootloader. If you did, Id put up how to do it, but since you dont, it wont help you any.

If you are secure enough to try you can remove one of the OS boot lines (if you want to remove XP setup and just have your original Millenium OS at boot time).

You have to make sure under tools>folder options> you have turned on <show all files> and <show system files>.

Then, using My Computer Icon, go to file called boot.ini and edit it with Notepad, by right clicking on it and then <open with> select Notepad.

Look for 2 lines that this file is using when it boots windows.

You should have 1 line for each (OS-XP Setup and Millenium).

The XP setup line is the first line if that is showing first.

Delete the line that is there for <xp setup> or just change the order of them with cut and paste so the right one comes up first.

BE VERY CAREFUL! IF YOU DONT FEEL YOU CAN DO THIS OR IF THAT BOOT.INI DOES NOT SHOW BOTH STARTING OSs - JUST CANCEL OUT AND SELECT IT EACH TIME.