Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kingtrey

NFS5 locks up and eats memory?

what would cause Need For Speed 5 to lock up at the title screen and eat up all your memory in Win2k? i think i have read about this issue before ... anybody have any suggestions?

Pentium III 800mhz

GeForce 2 GTS using ASUS 12.00 beta drivers

128mb PC100 SDRAM

SBLive!

Windows 2000 Pro - SP2

Try Running in Win98 Compatibility Layer.

ARC

he doesn't need to that ..even the guide on the home page said just do something w/ the gimme.dll file like rename it or delete it.

It won't run with the Win95/Win98 compatability layer for me. I have to delete the gimme.dll file to run it.

Ed

Well,

If you delete gimme.dll, you wont be to use the Multiplayer options to play the rest of the maps.

ARC

i deleted the gimme.dll or whatever it was called (actually i just renamed it) and the game works now, i never had to delete this file before i got my GeForce 2 so it was an odd problem

Deleting the gimme.dll never helped here. I lowered the page file to 320, that did the trick.

yes, a simple workaround is just setting the swap file to a set size of say 300 or so.

works like a charm for me, even all the multiplayer maps smile

I deleted the gimme.dll and the game loads fine and I can play Single player but I can't play Multiplyer mode. Like the game wound count down "3" "2" "1" then I get kicked back to desktop. Anyone else have this problem?? But this problem doesn't exist on my other Win98 machine. But the difference is that I don't have to delete gimme.dll file when I play on Win98. I was suspecting that I am getting kicked back to desktop in Multiplayer mode was because I don't have gimme.dll. Is there another way to load the game without freezing and leaving gimme.dll file alone??