Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
three

software recommendation pls

Ok, this is basically the software that I need:

I need to make a data base of all the products in our company. I need to set it up so that the sales staff can easily key in several options and it will lead to the right product including specs. and price quote.

This will be first used on the intranet and after I get it up and running smoothly, I will move it to our website for online customers to select.

Anybody have any recommedations?

TIA

Access would work if you already own it. If not throw it on SQL (for the web part of it anyways)...its free and can run on linux.

hmm...We only have Access 97 that came with Office, the Office 2000 Small Business Ed. did not include this. Anyways, I have never used Access before, nor SQL. They seem rather complex. Are there any other apps. that are better for a beginner like myself?

Access is very easy to work with. The best thing to do would be get a book on it or take a couple of classes. However, if you are within a tight timeframe to get this developed, then this may not be the avenue to use.

thanks for the suggestions...i guess i'll look into access since i have the software, though i must admit it is rather confusing, more things than i actually require. finding a good book will be really hard to do since me being in taiwan and all books are usually in chinese:p oh well, if i can't find any, i guess i'll have to purchase one online, anybody have any good reading suggestions?

I don’t think Star Office has a relational database or built in interface to a SQL server. However, it’s been a long time since I used Star Office so I could be wrong.