Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
illusionist

Redirects and stuff

Hi! I have some questions that I hope someone can help me with..

1) I have installed IE6 and Win2k and am wondering; where all the files are located for storing Internet browser locations? The reason I ask is because I was in yahoo sports and was somehow directed to a **** site which then proceeded to open about a million other windows. After about 3 years I managed to get them all closed ( hehe ) but now and again I get directed back in one or more. I have gone into C:\docs&settings\user and deleted all the files and cookies but still this occurs. The file in the cookies folder named index cannot be removed and I wonder if the records of those sites are in there. Also in the Local Settings folder under temp are 2 files called ~DF7753.tmp & ~DFC04D.tmp that can’t be removed. I would like to get rid of this problem as it can pop up at an inopportune time. For that matter is there a way to completely remove records of Internet browsing each time you log off. ( I know that there is that option in the check boxes in tools but it doesn’t delete cookies , temp & history files ) To me it’s like spying.

2) The next question is this. During logging on to sites like yahoo sports I’ll have friends come over and log in their weekly picks or the kids will have a LAN party and login their passwords. When WinDOAHs! Asks you if you would like to remember the password and you answer yes, where is that file ( record ) kept? I would like to edit the file so that only my passwords are in the dropdown boxes.

3) I was wondering if I can reinstall IE5 over IE6? It seems that since I installed IE6 when I try to get to a site about 50% of the time I now get page not available. Its almost like the program didn’t even try to find it because the message almost comes up immediately.

4) A friend placed a certain picture as my desktop as a joke. I removed it but now at start up it displays that picture for about 10 seconds and I don’t know how to get rid of it permanently. I have even deleted it but its still there.

Just as I was waiting for my reply to activate this account I went to log into DSL Reports and was again redirected to a site that’s starts out with the heading:

“ Drunk , naked and 18 “

You can see my problem.

Thanks in advance

Illusionist

If you want to email me any answers please send them to : yopickupthephone@hotmail.com-nospam

Illusionist,

this problem is again with your active desktop. When you boot up, the normal desktop is displayed for a few seconds until your active desktop (html page) has finished loading. Go to Display settings and disable the active desktop. You will then see the picture your friend has chosen as your desktop wallpaper. I suggest you change this to 'no' wallpaper. Then enable the active desktop again.

The problem you describe about being redirected to other sites is definately a cookie problem. If you are using Windows 2000 you have two folders that contain cookies. They also both contain a file called 'index' which is not able to be deleted in Windows as it is in use. I suggest you download a free program called 'Ad-Aware' that will scan your registry and/or system for traces of spy ware or suspect cookies. You can get it H e r e

Regards,

Card

Cardinal

Thank you for the reply. I have done what you said before and have come up with the same desktop stuff. In regards to the ad aware prog I have that running too.

Thanks again though

Cardinal

Yeah I tried it again about the desktop thing (and thank you ) but agian it did not work. Not that a picture of Elizabeth Hurley nude

is a bad thing but its not appropriate.

Illusionist