Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fatlip

ff7

ok, need a little help here with final fantasy 7 under win2k pro. I have service pack 2 and the latest application compatability update, along with the application compatability toolkit. When I run ff7 normally, i just get a blank screen, when I run it in win95/98 compatability mode, the game does'nt start, it just stays on the desktop. I tried running it with the apcompat tool, but it just crashes.

I've got the riva tnt patch for ff7, and have tried fiddling with my display settings to no avail, I was originally using the 12.00 dets, but switched to the 7.58's, but this did not make a diffference.

My specs are:

athlon 800mhz

msi k7t mobo

creative sb!live

xentor32 tnt2 ultra

128mb ram

win2k pro sp2

Can't help frown

I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but I've tried and tried to get FF7 to work, but have never succeeded. It refuses to run at all with the compatibility layers and even when you get it to run it will always crash in the middle of your first battle. frown

YES!!! Finally got FF7 to work properly in Win2k!!

So how do you do it? Well....

First make sure application compatibility is enabled:

Quote:
Type this after Start, Run, to enable compatibility mode with SP2:

regsvr32 %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll

Thanks to Wolf87 for that one smile

Next install the Whistler Application Compatibility toolkit (details here)

MANY thanks to DosFreak for that one smile

Reboot just for good measure.

Run ff7.exe from QFixApp (CompatAdmin doesn't seem to work) - choose Win2000 layer - the database of fixes will do the rest.

Oh yeah and as of installing DirectX 8 and some recent nvidia drivers you don't need to run the game in the "nvidia" mode (which seems to screw up on win2k) as it passes the 8-bit paletted texture test now.

Anyway, hope this helps anyone out there who loves this game.

--

Xiven

Oh yeah, and to get the video clips to work run the Direct Show installer from the FF7 installation disk. That should sort out the codec.

The Application compatibility toolkit will not work with the NVIDIA update for FF7. You have to be running the version installed from the CD.

I would agree except for the fact that I did (once) manage to get it to work with the patch in full hardware direct3d on 2 separate machines (never again though ;( )

RED

OK let me ask you one thing here. I had windows 2k pro sevice pack 2 ... but each time I used ff7 , and well i got trough using the appfix too and all ... but , as soon as i got to the submarine scene, it cutted off... it crashed back to windows. I was using a vodoo3 2000 16 mb at this time and I thought ( well I guess that I thought) that I had the most recent driver that 3dfx would give me ..

would that be because of of my card ...

now i am on windows XP Professionnal, and I now have an Asus v7100 GF2 Mx-400 with 64 megs of ram..

do you think that it would work now , or you never went to the submarine quest and you don`t know what I am talking about???

thanks anyways

Yeah, I tried the submarine quest and it worked just fine.

Chocobo racing is a different issue though.

I'm running Win2k SP2 and I tried installing every single update I could find, but FF7 still won't work right. When I run the game through QFixApp I get a bunch of jumbled characters on startup, and then when I try to enter the Chocobo Stables I get kicked out of the game. I am currently playing an old saved game that I backed up on disk. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

at this point , this surprises me.

I could have all chocobo stables rented without any problems during time I was in win2k.

make sure you don`t use any trainer or char editor that could easily give you chocobos. 8)

I really do not understand why the game crashes at this point.

personnaly , I have started a new gme on win2k, and well whe I arrived at the point where I had to rent the chocobo stables, nothing went wrong.

try to sart a new game , as the one you have saved might be corrupted.

check this out and get back to me.

I have gotten it working under win98 on a different hard drive, but it still kicks out when trying to enter the stables. It will even kick me out after just flying around for 10 minutes or so. I'll try starting a new game, but I don't see why my old game would work in 98se but not in win2k.

We all have to remember one thing , when it comes to Computers.

EVERYTHING CAN HAPPEN! and i know this because I work for sympatico , and I know what is file curruption, cuz I see this everyday that I work.

it would not surprise me to know that simply the saved game was currupted when transfered from 98 to win2k.

anyways, try it out.

I know file corruption too. I've been working as a computer technician for 3 years now, and I can gurantee that that is not the case here. I tried your idea none the less and it kicked me out when I tried to enter a mini game.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

well then did you try to re-install the game???

that is the only answer to this now...

unless there is something I don't catch .

i'm trying to run FF7 on WindowsXP and it runs fine UNTIL I enter a subgame like chocobo racing or the submarine scenes. I've seen all of the app compatability stuff for win2k, but does anyone know of a solution that works for sure under windowsXP?

FF7 will never work totally under either Win2k or WinXP (unless someone releases a patch - which is sooo not going to happen). The chocobo races will always crash out straight away. I've never had any problems with the other mini-games, though I know some people have.

Basically your options are: install dual-boot with Win9x or give up and don't play the game.

EDIT: Yeah, this is not true any more since some extremely clever person wrote an unofficial patch to fix this bug.

Hello guys,

i have also Win2k and a Geforce2GTS, but Final Fantasy VII dont run. Could you please tell me step by step what i have to do from the beginning in simple words (cause my english isnt that good laugh ) ?

I hope you can help me.

Greets

mobius

Well after reading and feeling sorry for you guys, I decided to register and upload the patch for you all.

http://iupload.net/032003/ff7chocobopatch.zip

Download it, unzip it, follow the instructions and the chocobo races will work absolutely perfect and fine under both Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Enojy :]

-hydro

Mine don't work either.

well, ill just have to face it. i dont know s**t about computers.

Okay. Can someone please take the time and explain to me STEP BY STEP what to do to get Final Fantasy VII to run in Win2000? What program exactly it is that I need to download (there's 2 different compatibility toolkits available), what other patches I might need, and most important: what exactly I have to do with the toolkit.

I read through all of this, tried all of this, but still it doesn't work. Perhaps it is because I am no 1337 Windows-pro and therefore have ABSOLUTELY no clue about what to do with this Application Toolkit thingy. The game starts, and after the intro (which is displayed upside down for some obscure reason) the game crashes. More exactly the game crashes when the first character tries to do an attack.

So please, can anyone help me?

I have a prob wtith FF7 on my computer (I have a Pentium 3 550 MHz ,192 MO of memory ,Geforce 2 TI 64 MO, a CMI 8738 on board)

FF7 Freeze and I have a back to desktop when I want go in menu or when a action on a fight

I am on Win 2000 SP3 french (french version of SP4 is not available for the moment)

and Windows Application Combatibility Toolkit 2.6 and 3.0 don't on my computer and I don't find version 1.5 (but il have the version 1.1 but FF7 doesn't work (freeze , back to destop...)) frown

sorry for my english but I am french