Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zoooom

Installing windows me after win2k...

Hi I have win2k on my c drive and I want to install windows millenium on an alternate drive and keep dual boot in tact. I have linux install also. Using bootmagic to boot between linux and win2k. I was thinking that I could just install it from dos and just change the install directory but I thought it would still try to put the program files on c. Im not worried about it messing up the boot or anything I can repair it with win2k repair. Just not sure how to go about installing it without it conflicting with the win2k partition because its on c.

Okay, this is gonna be a little tricky with Linux already installed.

Where you have ME should be inconsequential right now. I haven't used Boot Magic in a loooooong time, so I can't say much about that.

All you need is just a separate partiton or hard drive for ME. Just install it like you would normally and then repair the system later. You will probably have to reconfigure Boot Magic, but nothing too complex.

All Im worried about is windows me assuming that it can use the c drive for anything besides boot. So when I install it I just choose a different drive letter? And the program files will goto that drive also?

yes program files and the windows directory always install to the same drive in windows. And no need to worry about 2k or ME worrying about what is in that directory because the registry controls the programs anyway. In fact (not recommended) i used to use the same program files directory when i was dual booting winxp personal and winxp pro to save space and i never had a problem as long as i installed the app in both OSes.

Hi I have Windows 2000 SP2 on my C drive at present, I want to have on my D drive either ME or 98SE, can I do this without a format, so I can dual boot for older game compatability?

If this can be done can you tell me how please.

Thanks.

just set LiLo to boot dos by default then use the win2k boot menu, as for installing, just use a dos boot disk or the ME cd to install ME to another drive, win2k should make the proper changes, if win2k doesn't make the changes, just run the win2k repair utility, it will fix it and win me and win2k should be in the boot menu, as for booting linux after setting dos as the default, just type "linux" and hit enter to boot linux.