Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Duszolap

Dual boot problem

I have a problem.

Some time ago i installed Win2000 and after some time i realized that there is need to have 98 (for games etc).

I decided to install it on another HDD to adoid problems. I wanted to change boot order in bios for insatling 98 on another drive. There i met first problem. I had 2 disk on UltraATA controller but i dont know why system always started from wrong drive (that with 2000) so i had to connect one disk to common IDE channel (what i really dont like cause this is UDMA 66 HDD).

I insatlled system and switched back to UDMA with some hope. Of cousre the same thing - only Win2000 partition is bootlable. Now i have to :

1)Connect one HDD to IDE channel

2)Every time switch in bios between HDD0 and UDMA66 setting

I really look for solution .Some way to dual boot. I tried Boot Magic but it didnt worked properly cause it didn detect win2000 at all.

Any help?

You don't need Boot Magic if you're dual booting between 2k and 9x. I will say right off that I don't like boot magic personally.

Now I'm not totally clear on what your doing, but you shouldn't have to mess with anything in BIOS.

Question: Did you run the repair option off the Win2k CD?

FYI: Boot off of the Win2k CD and hit R instead of Enter. Choose the option for Win2k to find the install directory on its own.

Sorry if this doesn't help, but I'm a little confused at to what your doing.

The best way to do a dual boot is to install 98 first then 2k, but you shouldn't be having any problems if you don't. I've done it both ways and it's worked out fine. I would definitely run the repair option first if you haven't already.