Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rgodart

What to modify on the cd so i don't have to give a cdkey at

Which file on the win2k cd do i have to modify so i don't have to give in that damn long crappy cd key everytime i deicde to reinstall win2k? i read it somewhere a long time ago but i forgot where...

you can not make an unattended general setup from CD. Every machine is different and they require different answers.

I am afraid you have to keep on typing buddy!

Well, you would have to use a floppy for winnt.sif (for a single machine, unattend.txt, unattend.bat, and unattend.udf for multiple machines) anyway so you can edit the file as needed. Just use "setupmgr.exe" from DEPLOY.CAB in the SUPPORT\TOOLS directory on your Win2K CD. I use this for my home PCs, and just change the PC name when I set it up.

The only other method I know of involves changing one of the files on the CD, but you get the file/info on changing the file when you are an Enterprise license user.

Also, in the deploy.cab file there is a word doc defining unattended installations and what options you can use. I generally like having it blow away and reset the partition along with some other things in my file.

Good idea Clutch. To keep the file on floppy I use to change the machine name as well.

Here's the site that tells you exactly what file to modify to stop Windows installer from asking for the CD-key. I did it to my disk last year, it was very easy and now I'm not bothered by having to enter it every time I install.