Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
clutch

All Users var question

I know that %allusersprofile% will dump me into “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users”, but that doesn’t work for NT4. I am trying to find the var (if it exists) that is the same between NT4 and W2K so I can copy files to “All Users\Start Menu\Program Files”. Does this var exist? And if so, what is it?

Thanks, but that only gets me to the currently logged in user, right? I am trying to get a shortcut folder copied down to each PC so that it will show up for every user when they log on. I was trying to do it with one batch file, but I was getting the feeling that I may have to use separate collections (one for NT and one for W2K) in SMS to deploy different batch files for each OS.

How about "%USERPROFILE%\..\all users"? This will work on Win2k, but i don't know is it's the same on NT4...

Incidentally, you can type "set" at a command prompt to get a list of all the variables and their current values.

Thanks, it looks like that twist on %userprofile% will do it just fine. Whenever I try %windir%\profiles in Win2K, it takes me to Winnt\profiles (makes sense since %windir%=c:\winnt on this system). But, if you put any files or folders in there, they wont show up in the start menu. Hence, the need to get to the "All Users\Start Menu\Programs" directory on both Win2K and NT4. Thank you both for the help.

laugh