Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HELLBRINGER

DynaDNS... Other DNS progs? Work???

My server uses an dynamic ip. There is nothing I can do about it because we do not have the money right now to upgrade to static ip. My domain name is hosted on register.com's DNS servers. As far as I know the only way to update their DNS servers of my new ip is through their website in a browser. I am considering getting one of these DNS auto update programs like DynaDNS and stuff like that. Will they work with my domain server?

And what other DNS server update programs are there? What do you think works the best?

Thank you for your help.

HELLBRINGER

Now see I am trying DynDNS crap thing. And now in order to access my site with this thing working people have to type megabytemike.dynip.com insdead of the damn address by it self.

Does tzo do this? Or can it just work with megabytemike.com which is how I want it to work.

Yes, you can have them forward your real domain name if you like. I have Driventechnologies.com forwarded to my server (I covered this before, I believe) and it works fine. If you payed for that domain name, you can have TZO forward all traffic for you.

Ok cool thank you very much. Sorry if I repeat my self. Sometimes I dont pick it up the first time. I am new to this DNS stuff.

Thank you much Clutch. I really appreciate it.

If you need anything, let me know. You might like some stuff I have. If you want FTP access or something let me know.

Thanks, Mike HELLBRINGER Gregory

It could be, if you like. When I first got my account I had http://clutchco.tzo.com, but later I bought driventechnologies.com. I got my domain name through them, but you can have them host yours. All you have to do is tell them you have your own domain name (www.hellbringer.com or what have you) and that you want them to point it to your client you have installed already. They will ask for:

1. Your email address (so they can find your client ID number)

2. Your money ( :))

It works out pretty well, and quite fast. You *might* have to contact register.com and tell them TZO.com will be hosting your domain name on their servers. But, you can coordinate that with TZO.

Ok all sounds good. All I need is some money (yay!) and get them and register.com to work out domain server stuff so my domain name will be hosted on TZO's site and then I will have instant DNS changes on the internet. So that when my ip changes, and my webserver is up, everyone can still access my site through megabytemike.com and not an ip I give them. Right?

Thank you very much for your help. Much appreciated.

Oh will this thing let me do only my domain name without anything after it on the demo or trial or what ever?

The trial/demo will ONLY allow for a tzo.com subdomain (as in your case, "megabytemike"). When you get the premium service, you can then have the domain name of your choosing be forwarded to your PC, rather than the subdomain.

Well I guess it's cheaper than buying a static ip from my ISP.

How does this thing update the DNS so fast anyway? I thought it always takes a while.

Every DNS server knows to go to TZO.com for the tzo.com domain name. Since you are a sub-domain of tzo, all the requests are handled by tzo.com name servers. Those name servers know your IP since the client on your machine updates once every few minutes. The same process goes into effect when you have your own domain name hosted by them.