Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HELLBRINGER

Win2k Server GETS REALLY SLOW!

I don't know if it is hardware related but I will tell you anyway.

After running Win2k Server for a while on my server, trying to go in and do things it gets EXTREMELY UNRESPONSIVE! I am not sure if it is a memory leak or what the problem is. I do have a lot of server programs running but there is plenty of free memory. Accoring to Mem Turbo though. Here is my Server config.

Keep in mind this is a server I built from scrach, and am in the process of upgrading it.

Tyan Trinity K7 mainboard

Intel Pentium 233MMX @ 200 (damn MB wont let it any higher!) (Will be AMD K6-2 500MHz or 533 or 550 soon!)

160MB PC-100 SDRAM (2 64MB PC-100 and a 32MB, not sure if PC-100, its old TI memory, but its SDRAM from a Sony PCV-150)

El-Lamo Savage 4 8MB AGP 4X Video

Intel Pro/DSL 2100 Modem

D-Link DFE-530 TX+

Running programs:

BulletProof FTP Server v2.15

ICQ GroupWare Server

Remote Administrator V2.0

OmniHTTPd Professional

MemTurbo (average of 100MB free after "Scrubbing RAM" on startup

So I am not sure exactly what is wrong here. But I end up restarting the damn thing because I don't want to wait for it when I need to alter something.

Any help appreciated. Thank you.

It's a Pentium 200 with 160MB of RAM. You can pretty much count on it being slow. If it's still slow with the new CPU, post again about it.

Yeah but it runs fine when it starts up. Pretty fast actually. Then after a while, or if something funny happens it slows down so freekin much you dont want to wait and restart the thing.

I don't think it's hardware, I think its a memory leak or some software.

Cause I have ran Win2k Pro off of a P133 and it works fine! No slow downs more than it already is. Sure its not no Athlon 1GHz but it works and doesnt slow down to a hault like this is doing. Which I have a premonition that it is software.

Press CTRL-SHIFT-ESC to bring up the task manager, click on the processes tab, then click at the top of the CPU column. This will sort all the processes by the % of processor time they are using.

Which processes appear at the top? Those are your culprits - especially if the "System Idle Processes" line appears way down the list!

Rgds

AndyF

It did that before mem turbo! actually mem turbo makes it last longer before it does it. it hasnt done it since i just installed mem turbo, i think that may have fixed it

musta been a mem leak