Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CM

3D Files Board Closed

3D Files board is gone

Message Boards - 1:30 PM EST

You may have noticed the Message Board link is no longer here. We've closed the message boards due to excessive traffic and overloading of our servers. The board closing is permanant and it will not be re-opening. There are several good forums out there, perhaps we could recommend trying the [H]ard|Forum run by HardOCP (Sweet site), or also the Voodoo Extreme Forums. Both are superb sites and offer the same message board as the 3DBOARD did.

WTF. It was fine 2 days ago with no sign of going down. Hmmm, guess I'd better email Qwerty.

Who cares?

Frankly speaking, 3dFiles forum was one of the crappiest and childiest place around the net.

Just my opinion. I understand some people may have liked it.

I don't see where you would find that impression. It was a fine place to help out the newbies and kick back and post some stuff in the Lounge. It was hardly an Ars/Ntcompatible/Tweakfiles where the goal was to share information/fix nt/tweak your system. 3Dfiles main goal was to brag about your systems and improve them. Basically it didn't take itself as seriously as most sites which added to the appeal. Ah, well dunno why Tim closed it. I saw something briefly about his servers being overloaded and how he was getting tired of it all but it still seems strange that he would kill his site so suddenly and so swiftly after so many years. Weird......

I think 3DFiles biggest problem was the UBB software. UBB 6.0's CPU usage is terrible. I remember last time I tried the UBB 6.0 software here on the server that the CPU usage was at 98% 8). Average CPU usage with vBulletin is 10% and was between 20% and 40% last Saturday with 120 users online smile

"Ben" [supposedly one of the Admins] posted over at the [H] that the server wasn't stable enough, and it was taking too much of Tim's time, which is why he closed it.

I'll reserve my thoughts on the board, since they didn't go over very well with Ben, but suffice it to say that was definitely different than NTComp, and you had to know that going in.

-bZj

I think they were going straight into the wall because of too many threads going out of control.

Some individuals or groups and communities could have found many reasons to take legal action against them.

I have seen some posts by irresponsible kiddies and elder *ssholes which were really offending.

They took the right decision. I guess they will reopen the forum after they have found a way to better filter registration.

There was a similar case one month and a half ago in Australia (the overclockers australia forums). They were forced to close under legal action. They have reopened recently with much stronger procedures and rules.

Regards