Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GTwannabe

Can't boot up W2k, blue screen HELP!

I uninstalled the drivers for my ORB disk drive and restarted. Windows found the ORB drive when I booted up again, and started to install the drivers. Something went REAL bad, causing the system to power off. I powered back on, and window would boot till the status bar was 1/2 way up, then I get a blue screen stating that windows failed to load and that I should run CHKDSK.

I use an old Win98 boot disk to get into DOS. That's all well and good, but I can't run CHKDSK from DOS! I can't find CHKDSK or SCANDISK on the C: drive or in the windows folder. I never made a W2k boot disk because my little brother keeps stealing all my floppies.

HELP!!! Is there any hope???

8) DON'T USE ANY DOS BASED SYSTEM SCANNER ON WIN2K!!!!!!!!! 8)

Have you tried running the repair option or booting into safe mode?

FYI: the Win2k repair option: boot off the Win2k CD, select repair instead of install. Use the options that don't need you to find the Win2k install or use a repair disk.

Also, does the BSOD name any files in it, like a .dll or .sys file?

Thanks for the help, but I stumbled thru it this morning. I made windows 2000 boot disks (all 4 of them!) on my 486/66 sh!tbox and ran the recovery thing.

Booted up and windows and uninstalled, reinstalled the orb drive. %@#$@!!! it did it again! Went thru the 4 disks again, cleaned the HD, and ran the recovery thing again.

All is well now.

Moral of the story: Never uninstall ORB drive!

I've heard of problems with the ORB drives.

You don't necessarily need to make the 4 boot disks, but they are helpful in the case that you can't boot off a CD-ROM.

The reason I tried reinstalling the Orb drive drivers is because I wanted the system to be able to boot w/o an orb disk in the drive.

When I had 98, you could do this, but it would hang for a few minutes during boot.

After upgrading to 2000, I discovered the machine had no problems booting with an empty Orb drive.

After installing Photoshop 6 (from the backup on my Orb drive), W2k would hang indefinately if the disk wasn't in.

Strange, huh? Think it might be a registry entry?