Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ektalog

Puzzled by IconCache.db file; related problm.

The real issue is that every time I start WinXP prof, I find that my icons are slow to display the first time I access the programs list in Start Menu. For all intents and purposes, it is like the icons-caching function resets everytime I reboot. To cure the problem temporarily, I just scan all of my StartMenu/Programs items so that they get cached, a pain in the butt.

I do have a large number of applications installed. In Win98 I have to set "max cached icons" to 8192 in the registry to have them all cached and run fast from the get go. It works, and my shelliconcache file shows it, too. If gets corrupted, it rebuilds just fine when I take appropriate action.

In my WinXP, shelliconcache does nothing...nada, zilch. And NONE of the fixes I have come across -- including those for Win2k -- has helped. Initially, it sat there just as it came from the original Win98 installation (over which I installed WinXP RC1 in a twin drive and swap bay). Then, I erased it to see if it reset. It simply died quietly, never came back.

Earlier today, by accident, I came across a file called "IconCache.db" in the

C:\Documents and Settings\MeTheAdmin\Local Settings\Application Data

directory. To spare you the longer story... ;(this SEEMS to be doing what shelliconcache did in the past. In other words, it may be caching icons. But the effect doesn't show when I reboot...

Here is the big puzzle: there is no mention of this "IconCache.db" anywhere on the Internet. No newsgroups mention it, no websites mention it (nowhere in the MS knowledgebases either). NOTHING. I put all my search bots to the task...NOT ONE return!

- Am I the only one whose WinXP icons lose caching on reboot or relogin? Or just too dumb to find the solution, as I suspect... wink

- Am I the only one with this "IconCache.db" file, or am I "reading ghosts"?confused