Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
whoisurdaddy

Anybody own DVD slot drive?

I am thinking about buying Pioneer 16x DVD 106s Slot drive. Anybody own this drive? I have never owned a slot drive before. Is there any disadvantage in getting a slot drive? Any good or bad things about this Pioneer DVD-Rom drive?

I've got the 10x slot - and it works great! I really like the convenience of not having to wait for the tray... It's not a big deal, but it's nice anyway.

The only disadvantage is that you can't use odd sized discs in it. Like sometimes you'll see those business card size discs, and you can't feed those into the slot. Personally, I can use my burner for things like that, but this might be an issue for you...

Oh yes, get a slot!

Once you've owned a slot you'll never want to go back to a tray again - now only if I could find me a slot CD-RW!!

I have a SCSI Pioneer 40x/10x DVD-ROM - Great drive, you wont regret it.

the last slot drive i had was a 16x CDROM out of a Compaq Presario 4774, it was great, best cdrom i ever had, no problems at all, Pioneer dvd drives are great in general, i have a Pioneer DVD-115(tray)16x and it has been the best dvd drive i have ever had to date.

And the advantage about using a slot is the noise - they are *sooo* much quieter than tray-based drives!

AndyF

true, but there are no big performance hits or gains so i'll settile with a Tray.

I always worried about scratching to bottom surface of the CD/DVD while insertingit into slot drives. Have any of you noticed something like this? Is there something that keeps this from happening?

-bZj

no worries there - it's flexible around the slot, very much like the way car cd-players are. I've never had any of my discs get scratched, after owning one for almost 2 years now...