Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JDawn

Please help with baffling problem (Cd-ROM drives)

After installing PowerDVD, it forced me to reboot my

machine, when win2k reloaded my D: and E: are gone from My

Computer! (a Pioneer 116 DVD-ROM and a Plextor 12x10x32)

In device manager they are there with a yellow ! mark with

the message:

"This device is not working properly because Windows

cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code

31)"

Ive tried everything i can think of to get them back..

reinstalling the drivers for the drives, reinstalling

drivers for the IDE controller, but nothing works. They

are detected by plug and play everytime i remove them but

all i get is error code 31!!

please, I do not want to re-install win2k AGAIN!

Have you tried uninstalling PowerDVD and then removing and adding your drives again?

If the problems only arose after installing PowerDVD, it would be best to remove the ofending aplication and start again. Hopefully it was just a dodgy install.

yes.. I have un-installed and installed Powerdvd and the drives several times now. frown

anyone have any ideas ?

have u tried disconnecting them from the controller, rebooting, shutdown and then re-connecting?

This may be a 'jig-rig' fix, but its worked for me before.

These tests could throw some light on what is happening:

A) Make a backup of Registry through Export in the menu.

Check if Dwords Lower & Upper Filters are now installed in this key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]

"UpperFilters"=

"LowerFilters"=

B) After a right click on My Computer, Manage, System Tools, System Information, Hardware Resources, Conflicts/Sharing, does any conflict appear in the right panel?

C) After a right click on My Computer, Manage, Storage, Removable Storage, Physical Locations, do Pioneer 116 DVD-ROM & Plextor 12x10x32 appear?

This attempt at solution can be used immediately. Insert your Windows 2000 Pro installation disc. Start, Run:

expand <CD-ROM drive>:\i386\cdrom.sy_ %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\cdrom.sys

Shutdown and restart the system. The CD-ROM driver has been renewed.

"UpperFilters"= Cdralw2k

"LowerFilters"= AFS2K PFC _2K _2K

The only conflict that it shows i have is with my ethernet controller and my USB controller (IRQ 11)

Both my drives appear in Physical Locations under removable storage, but they have a red "X" on the left side of them. But there isnt a mention of a problem there.

I booted off my win2k CD and replaced the cdrom.sys file with EXPAND, didnt help anything.

"Windows

cannot load the drivers required for this device"

Can that be any more vague??

argh!

Those Registry keys instruct Windows 2000 to use CDFS (CD-ROM File System) to read CD-ROM discs through the use of cdrom.sys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CDFS\0000]

"Service"="cdfs"

"Legacy"=dword:00000001

"Class"="LegacyDriver"

"DeviceDesc"="cdfs"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CDFS\0000\Control]

"ActiveService"="Cdfs"

If those Dwords are all in place, the best bet is first to make a back-up of the previously discussed key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr

ol\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]

and then to remove the unknown "AFS2K PFC _2K _2K" which seems to refer to a different File System. Then rename also all instances of AFS2K PFC _2K _2K.sys to AFS2K PFC _2K _2K.sy_. Both must be done to have any effect or an enumerator call will still activate the driver.

Those lower and upper filters refer to hardware call libraries installed through files developed by specific companies. Cdralw2k.sys is owned by Adaptec-Roxio and is inocuous here. Likewise interrupt 11 is probably shared rather than in conflict and unrelated to this.

Sometimes the removal of a hardware call library file written out as a filter restores a Windows 2000 device driver declared unavailable.

Well, that did it! Thank you Wolf87, I have a feeling that was better tech support than I would have ever gotten from MS directly.

After removing the LowerFilter Key and renaming AFS2k.sys I rebooted and my drives were back. Turns out AFS is Audio File System,a proggie that makes it so you can insert an audio CD into the plextor drive and the tracks are read as .wav files by the OS

When i re-installed my plextor software the LowerFilter key was put back, but this time only with the value "AFS2K" without all the switches. I wonder if PowerDVD added them, and they were invalid commands for the AFS2K.sys file(just speculating)

thx again!

Your conclusion goes to the point. I once read a thread about WinDVD sometimes messing up the audio files. The DVD player installation software gets mixed-up by the added CD-ROM related Regitry entries.

Nice work there Wolf87.

Glad you got it sorted JDawn.