Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fallguy

XP RC1 wont shutdown or restart

It did it when I first installed it, then 2-3 days later it stopped. It just says "Windows is shutting down". Used to take about 5 seconds to be off totally. Now it just sits there with that message. Does the same for 'Restart' or 'Shutodwn'.

Only thing I have installed is a few games, and some apps. Tribes, Tribes 2, Office XP, mIRC, Winamp, Roger Wilco, and a few other various apps.

My system is:

Abit KT7-Raid

TB 1.2@1.3

VisionTek G3

IBM Deskstar 45gig

SB Live! X-Gamer 5.1

256PC133 Crucial

Kenwood 72 True-X

Creative 12x DVD

TDK 16x CD-RW

Linksys 10/100 Ethernet

External 3com USB ISDN modem

Any ideas?

Sorry, Eddie, that won't fix it. I'm having the same problem. If you check the Event Viewer, you'll see that the ACPI service is failing. For some reason installing certain software seems to cause this problem on some computers. It may also be connected to installing unsigned drivers. For me, installing the Virtual Java Machine caused it first. I then reinstalled. Diablo II caused it after that. After reinstalling 4 times in two days I said "screw it." I just hold in the power button until it shuts down now. The OS has actually shutdown completely, but the ACPI is unable to power everything off.

Arg! I think it was when I installed Nortan AntiVirus. I have since uninstalled it.

Now it does restart, doesnt matter if I hit shutdown or restart, it always restarts. It just takes at least 3 minutes to do. So its either that, or manually restart it, and wait for it to thru the file checker.

Maybe RC2 will fix it shocked