Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
miku

Norton Antivirus 2001 & RC1

Hi Guys,

I just noticed that Norton 2001 Auto Protect cannot work in RC1. When it starts it notifies that it will make the system unstable and therefore doesnt load it. I updated it from Symantec Site but doesn't work.

Any ways to get it work?

ARC

you just need the latest symevent driver from Symantec then it will work.

THC129 is right.

I have it working perfectly. Get the file and then do some weird dos command (something with blabla in )

I'll see if I can find the exact instructions to setit up.

THIS FILE ONLY VALID ON A CLEAN INSTALL OF XP!

First you need to have NEVER installed ANYTHING norton on your system.

If you have, go through the registry and delete anything related to symantec and norton,

also kill all of the norton files, including \program files\symantec shared and all of that.

kill it all. make sure that after you're done hacking and chopping, you RESTART before trying

to do this, it depends on there being nothing norton laying around. You also need to be

Administrator or have admin privs on your user account for it to work.

now the install steps.

1. run this at command prompt: "echo blah > %systemroot%\system32\symevent.sys"

(you won't see any output. what this does is create a dummy file so we can get the

sevinst.exe file to "upgrade" a copy of SYMEVENT that isn't really there, and thus

make norton install cleanly the first time.)

2. get the file from ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/symevnt/sevinst.exe

and run it

3. RESTART (very important you restart here)

4. install norton antivirus/utilities/systemworks 2001.

This ONLY works on a TOTALLY clean (never installed anything norton at all) copy of WinXP.

If it doesn't work for you, you're doing something wrong because I used this exact

procedure and my norton systemworks 2001 pro works absolutely fine, Liveupdate and all.

(Note that any drive utility in norton that normally worked on NTFS will not work on XP's

NTFS because of how NTFS has changed from NTFS 5.0 in Win2k.)

This explains why I had to reimage my machine last night.

I started installing XP RC1 from an alternative source ;), but it failed (cd was fooked) but it warned me against the symevent.sys file norton used. I ignored that coz I wasn't upgrading but doing a clean install. I hadn't even got to the part where you select the partition etc. RC1 said it would then clean itself up. After tat had done, I noticed that the grey bar you get on the forst W2k bootup screen was not animated but it just flashed up without any text etc.

This happened for a couple of days, until last night I was presented with a bsod at loadup citing the sysmenet.sys file.

Seems rc1 aint that good at cleaning up after itself.

Thank fook for ghosty tho...9 mins and I was back up and running from a 2.6gb image smile