Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord-Data

UT Based Games and SBLive issues

This one has been plaguing me for some time and thru some builds now .. Unreal Tournie, and other UT Based games (Rune and Deus Ex that i know of at least) have issues on and off with the sblive. Distorted and crackly sound. Often quiting and reloading will fix it, but sometimes it still persists. It only affects the game, other apps still play fine. Tried with both the drivers at install time, and the ones from WindowsUpdate .. no difference .. havnt been game enuf to install creative's win2k drivers .. anyone have any ideas on this problem?

Does it make any difference if you run the games in compatibility mode?

AndyF

Quote:
Does it make any difference if you run the games in compatibility mode?

Sigh. I can see it now. People are gonna think compatibility mode will fix most or all of their problems when it won't. Then they'll get mad when it doesn't do what it's supposed to.....when it has nothing to do with the prob. ;( laugh

I have your answer for you!

Run Dxdiag in the run box on the start menu,and go to the sound tab,then turn sound exceleration all the way down to one notch above the end[i think its called "normal exceleration or something]

That should cure your sound troubles completely!

Lemme know how you make out!

Take that SBLive! toss it, and buy a Santa Cruz or Fortissimo II.

You shouldn't have to run UT in compatibility mode, as it works fine as long as you have drivers installed.

Quote:

Sigh. I can see it now. People are gonna think compatibility mode will fix most or all of their problems when it won't. Then they'll get mad when it doesn't do what it's supposed to.....when it has nothing to do with the prob. ;( laugh

I don't think that at all. In fact, I never use Compatibility Mode because it's an MS kludge, and not a very good on at that.
I made the suggestions because I thought that maybe it works better in XP than in Win2k, but from the tone of your reply, I would guess not.

Unless MS are going to do some serious work to make Compatibility mode worth using, they might as well just drop it - 6 months from now, I can see lots of XP Personal users getting mad with CM because it won't run their favourite DOS games from 1987...

Win2k was never supposed to play games, so I can see why MS haven't spent much time on it - but XPP is designed for gaming, so I kind of assumed that MS would have put some effort into it...my bad!

So the bottom line has to be: is XP any better for gaming than Win2k, or are we still going to see the same kind of problems we do now with games in Win2k?

AndyF

Same problems. XP just improves the compatibility method. Currently different .dll files are used to redirect or emulate different functions. For instance a new one added to the Application Compatibility Kit 1.5 for Windows 2000 is the "Emulate Opengl" tab. This tab emulates some basic OGL functions because 2000/XP do not ship with OGL drivers. The thing is this tab say's it's for only one game: Quake. Now you'll likely see alot of people trying to get their OGL games working when they haven't even downloaded the darn drivers! LOL! That sort of thing. So XP and any OS after unless it offers real emulation software (ala Connectix Virtual PC: http://www.connectix.com/products/ THIS PRODUCT IS GREAT!) will never be fully compatible with all of your software.

I believe 1.5 for Windows 2000 is most likely the last APP Compat toolkit for Windows 2000. The App Compat in Whistler is vers 2.0 (only difference between 1.5 is the ability to save Compat files for both 2000 & XP and a few other tools included in the OS).

I wonder what MS will do once the x86 has evolved to some other form and isn't backwards compatible? Hopefully they will release some type of emulation software but I don't see any signs of them doing so. Heck, the fact that they are using these Application Compatibility hacks instead of emulation makes me wonder.

Hmmm...it'll be interesting to see what they do with the 64-bit Itanium version of XP (due to beta at the same that XP will be published I think) - will they include a 32-bit compatibility mode...?

I agree with you about emulation, and can't really see the point of MS including compatibility mode if it doesn't do its job very well - but that's been a common theme with so many MS products!! All the way from Windows 3 and beyond...

I can't help but think that an awful lot of home (read "non-technical") users will see compatibility mode as a panacea to get all their games working - and they'll get annoyed when it doesn't work.

AndyF

I wonder if they will come out with a patch to keep us from having to Tone down the sound acceleration? Will having this down affect other games?

I noticed this on the Creative site:

*Creative will soon be releasing updated Microsoft Windows XP-compatible drivers for most Sound Blaster sound cards based on the following release schedule*.

*Please note that some Sound Blaster products (where indicated) will be supported by the native drivers supplied with Windows XP.

If you would like us to notify you of the release of Windows XP-compatible drivers for your product, click on `Notify Me'.

Product Expected Release

Sound Blaster Audigy series Mid to late October

Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 series Mid to late October

Sound Blaster Live! series Mid to late October

Sound Blaster PCI 512 Mid to late October

Sound Blaster PCI 16/ other

Sound Blaster cards based on

Ensoniq CT5880 Late October to November

Other Ensoniq Audio Processors Supported by native drivers supplied in Windows XP

Sound Blaster AWE series Supported by native drivers supplied in Windows XP

Sound Blaster 16 Supported by native drivers supplied in Windows XP

Sound Blaster Pro Supported by native drivers supplied in Windows XP

Other ISA-slot Sound Blaster cards Supported by native drivers supplied in Windows XP

Wow! As I browse through the forum and see all the problems people are having with XP im in utter confusion. Every single game in my game collection work prime in XP. Using a SBLive Value with the defualt drivers XP installs, not one single problem in UT.