Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
starfury6

monitor screen res problem in 2k

Wonder if you guys can help me?

I have a Belinea 10 30 40 17" monitor which I know can do 1600x1200 @60. It's covered in the manual, hasit on the box, hell the inf file even has 'max res 1600' in it somewhere. However, Windows 2000 doesn't want me to see any resolutions above 1280 x 1024. I had this problem on GeForce DDR but wasn't worried because it wasn't really a viable res for playing in but now I have an Elsa Gladiac 920 GeForce 3.

I tried the 'Default Monitor' and the 'Standard VGA 1600x1200' drivers as well at the 10 30 40 inf files but windows 2000 still will only allow up to 1280x1024.

I solve the problem WAAAY back when I had Win98SE by using Powerstrip but that doesn't solve the problem here. Even the new PS 3.0 Beta which allows me to create a custom monitor driver does not help. It is possible that Win2k is 'pruning' the resolutions out, but it shouldn't since both the card and monitor support the res. I currently use the nvrefreshfix util to adjust the frequesncies of the modes.

Any ideas? I'd like to be able to select 1600x1200.

Have you tried different det drivers? i had a prob like that where it wasnt allowing me to select certain resolutions even thought they i could see them in the inf files, changing driver stopped that smile Anyway just a suggestion.

When I was running the GF DDR I had the same problem and I probably had 10 or 15 different detonantor drivers and it didn't help. I suppose I can try but I really think it will be a waste of time. I'm using the latest Nvidia release dets 12.41 WHQL.

Try downgrading to 6.50 drivers. NVidia has done some screwy things with the monitor detection stuff in the latest drivers.

I think the 6.50 drivers do not support the GeForce 3 cards.

Perhpas I'll just go back to win98 and put up with all the instalbilities..... nah!

Must be a registry 'something' which restricts it.

As you say dood, it does indeed appear to be the bloody drivers. I found a lot of posts saying that the DCC done by the drivers newer than 6.50 does not run correctly and people lose thier top res. of some higher frequencies.

Think I'll bite the bullet and try some or the newer 'leaked' drivers (12.90 and 14.something).

laters.

Sad to say but newer drivers don't seem to fix the problem either. All drivers since 7.xx have the same problem. I've got a similar problem except it's thinking it can do higher resolutions than it's actually capable of and it won't let me go above 75Hz in any resolution frown

The ONLY solution I've found other than downgrading to 6.50 is to install Powerstrip and play with the display settings direct from that.

Yeah, here's what I did (just in case you tried something different):

(BTW this is PowerStrip V3 Beta build 149)

Go to Display Profiles -> Configure

Select a Screen Res

Go to Advanced Timing Options

Set the refresh rate to whatever you want

Save the profile

Say yes when it asks if you want to create a desktop icon

Drag the icon from the desktop into Start Menu -> Programs -> Startup

If this doesn't work (which it probably won't cos my problem is refresh rate not resolution) then I'm sorry but I don't have a solution for you. frown

i get all kinds of problems with win 2000 when it comes to graphics. i thing win 98 was better in this stuff. but i'm having almost the same problem, but not with resolution, this time with the refresh rate!!!!!, my monitor warns me all the time when i'm in D3D or OpenGL modes that "REFRESH RATE LOWER THAN RECOMMENDED< REFERE TO YOUR USER...."

if there is a solution, it may fix all the problems we are facing now.

WIN 2000 SUCKS IN GRAPHICS!!!!! That's all, i'm already waiting for XP.