Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarU

Win2k and Novell together

This is a mixed network consisting of novell and NT servers with 98 and a couple 2k workstations (don't ask me why...i didnt set it up).

Anyway, you need to install the novell client on the 2k box in order to see the novell servers and shares. My only problem with this is that when you install the client it automatically becomes the default login client! So, instead of logging in with the Client for Microsoft Networks, i have to deal with the crappy novell client that is a lot more of a pain to work with. So my question is, does anyone know how to make the Client for Microsoft Networks the default login client??? There is no way of doing this in the network properties, but there has to be some kind of tweak to get this back to the way it was. After all, why would a Microsoft based client be pushed aside by a novell client if you are using a Microsoft OS!?!?! In NT you can just go to network properties and change the default login client to either "client for microsoft networks" or to "client for netware." So why isn't this option in 2k?? Is there any way to do it? Thanks in advance.

It's been a while since I have messed with this, but can't you use "Gateway Services for Netware" on a Win2K server? That way you can have a Win2K server handle all that nonsense for you.

Well, thx for your reply clutch, but the problem lies with the client machine...in this case, win2k Pro. You pretty much have to install the novell client on win2k pro in order to see the novell shares on the network. The server is running Gateway services for netware, which is why it is possible to get from the NT server to the Novell servers. Thanks for replying though. Any other suggestions? Anyone?

The following is what I was referring to. I remember how instable the Client32 was from Novell for version 5, that's why I was thinking of this method. Here's a clip:

"Gateway Services for NetWare

With Gateway Services for NetWare, you can create a gateway through which Microsoft client computers without Novell NetWare client software can access NetWare file and print resources. In the Litware network, GSNW permits users who have Windows 2000 Professional running on their desktop computers to access information on the NetWare server-based accounting system.

Gateway Services for NetWare allows you to provide gateways for resources located on Novell Directory Services (NDS) trees, as well as for resources on servers with bindery security. These resources include volumes, directories, directory map objects, printers, and print queues. GSNW is included with Windows 2000 Server."

This comes from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treevie...eat/netware.asp

And I am still looking for more info.

well, clutch...you got me all excited with both of your replies, but unfortunately neither worked. GSNW comes with win2k server, but our servers here are NT4 (we are upgrading very soon). Soooo, i am pretty sure that is why the guy that worked here before me had the Novell client on all the workstations.

And, the second post that, linked to the novell site there, seemed like a surefire way to fix it. But, i went through that process and it looked like everything went well, but it didn't take. I logged off and still had the novell login. So, i decided to reboot and when it came up i still had the novell client. frown This damn thing just won't give in... sheesh! Thanks a lot for your dilligence on this topic though, i really do appreciate it. If you find anything else out, please post it. Thanks again.