Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarU

GF2 drivers and halflife

Hey guys, i was wondering if anyone is using the reference detonator drivers on nvidia's site. The 12.xx ones...are they any good? Im still using the official detonator 3s.

The reason i ask is because i am getting some crappy performance in Counterstrike. When there is no action and im just standing around i get 72 fps. When im actually doing stuff it drops down as low as 40 fps!!! This doesn't make any sense. CS should scream with my computer specs:

Asus A7v

800 mhz. T-bird

512 megs pc-133 ram

Asus V7700 Geforce 2 pro 64 meg ddr

SBLive

Western Digital 7200 RPM 40 gig ATA 66 drive

Shouldn't i be getting better performance than a 40 - 50 fps average?? Is it the drivers? You guys have any input on this? Any help and/or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Try this...

1) Determine your desired refresh rate at the resolution you play Counter-Strike (eg for me its 85Hz at 1024x768).

2) Using notepad.exe, open the config.cfg file located in your Counter-Strike directory.

3) Look for for the following line:

fps_max "72"

4) Either add/edit the line so that the game engine uses your desired refresh rate eg. my line is as follows:

fps_max "85"

5) Save and Exit the file.

Enjoy the speed boost!

This should be done to your Half-Life config files and all Half-Life modifications (if such a config file exists for them).

You need to install the AGP Gart driver. I get the same framerate as you with my underclocked Geforce 256.

Hey psycho...do you know where i can get that driver?