Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

Red Alert 1 under win2k

Has anyone got C&C Redalert (NOT REDALERT 2) to work under windows 2000? if so, how? I tried copying the setup files ot hard drive, and applying the patch, but both setup.exe and setup95.exe complian about being run under windows 2000 (NT 5.0).

If someone has got this game to both INSTALL and run, or even just install, please let me know.

note: I already have the latest version of the application compatibility update (1.7) and that does not help either!

See the thread named "C&C Red Alert", which was on the front page of this forum when I saw your post. Details are within.

To whom it may concern,

I have just figured out how to get the game tyo work under windows 2000. It wasn't easy. In fact its a little qwerky and complicated, but should you stick through it, you'll be on your way to playing it.

Here is what you need to do:

1.) Make sure you have the lastest version of the application compatibility toolkit, as well as the latest service pack (currently SP2). The compatibility update can be found at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=29763

2.) Make sure you have the version 1.08 update patch from westwood. You can find this on www.westwood.com

3.) Make sure you have a working copy of APCPMPAT.EXE which you can find on your windows 2000 CD.

4.) Install the compatibility update and SP2 (if necessary)

5.) You now need to "trick" the setup program into thinking that you are actually not running windows NT (windows 2000 is Windows NT 5.0). To do this, run APCOMPAT, and select "windows 95" (or 98) and browse to the setup.exe file on the redalert CD. APCOMPAT crashed two or 3 times consecutively for me, but it got the setup to skip the NT check ;-), so don't be surprised if APCOMPAT freezes. This should be normal behaviour. Now set up the game as usual. IMPORTANT: do NOT run the game just yet, keep reading...

6.) Now is the time you apply the patch. If you don't apply the patch, redalert will give you a weird SDB Initialization error or something. So you MUST apply the patch BEFORE playing the game!

7.) Last, but not least. Go to the directory in which you installed red alert. Now make a shortcut to RA95.EXE and edit its properties (by right click->properties). go to the compatibility tab, and check "run in layer" and choose "windows 95" or "windows 98"!

Now, whenever you wish to run the game, make sure you run it from the shortcut you just created and edited!

If you still have problems, reply to this message and I'll be happy to assist you!

Peace out and good luck!

See the other thread for an easier description. SP2 has a Compatibility tab in Shortcut Properties that simplifies things greatly. Anyway I don't want to repeat myself so just read there.