Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ancker

Mixing CPU's

Is it possible on an ABIT VP6, to mix a 800MHz FC-PGA and a 750MHZ FC-PGA processor.

and will Win2k take advantage of all of this?

probly an old question...but i'm not sure.

also what is the max amount of RAM for Win2k Server.

Ancker

Both processors MUST be the same speed for SMP. In addition, I think they also have to be the same stepping.

NO MOTHERBOARD CAN RUN 2CPU'S ASYNCHRONOUSLY!

The MSI 694D can run different steppings cuz of independent voltage control, but they MUST, absolutely MUST, run at the same speed. While yes, you can run these--theoretically--you'd have to run them at 750MHz, or overclock the 750 to 800, but that's going to be tricky without the independent voltage controls.

You shouldn't have too hard of a time tracking down another 800MHz, just check to make sure you've got the same stepping.

In the good old days of celeron and Pentium 2 you could mix these at different speed(e.g. a pentium 2 300 MHz and a celeron 366MHz) and it worked in win2k, but how stable it is I don't know.

Thanks for all your help..

I have the 750..and My friend is going to sell his 800 and I was thinking about buying it from him and buying an abit VP6 or something.

Thanks though..

Ancker

In Abit BP6 you could run 2 CPUs of a different speed at the same time. At that time that was the only board that could do that.

Maybe VP6 is the second smile Check Abit site.