Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rgodart

Any way to make ghost see nfts partitions to store the image

I'm using ghost 7.0. I have a 30GB and a 8 GB harddisk. I use the 8 gig to save my image files on. For now it is formatted in fat32.

My question is if it is possible to make ghost see ntfs partitions as i would like to format the 8 gig drive ijn ntfs. I have tried winternals NTFSDOS (read only version). i made it load before ghost but then ghost gave me an error there isn't enough memory left (damned DOS memory, can't it just use my damn 512 MB RAM???!!) to load

Thanks.

Because the "working" part of Ghost is based around DOS, there is no way of making it write to NTFS files without another program like NTFSDOS (although you would need the full version at $249, which also appears to need *2* floppies...!).

As you say, the problem is that Ghost takes up a lot of memory, certainly not enough to load something as equally large as NTFSDOS, even if you were to strip out things like the mouse driver.

Looks like you're stuck in FAT mode, I'm afraid...

I know this probably isn't the answer you're looking for, and I know it's what everyone suggested on your previous thread...but would DriveImage be able to do this?

Rgds

AndyF

Thanks for your response. I've been using drive image for a while, and it can indeed see ntfs partitions. But some days ago it didn't see the free space on my backup drive right (it was freshly formatted with ntfs (8GB) and drive image only saw 3 GB of free space; + a friend of mine had the same problem on a 10 GB HD). At that point i had a very large image to make (windows with some games, i know i shouldn't do that, but i was in the mood for it :)). I now switched to ghost, which does the job right too, but only on fat32... That's no biggie, i'm only using that 8Gig HD to store Images, so it can stay on fat32.

This command only works from the command prompt in Win2k, and only converts the partition to NTFS format.

It does not allow you to read or write to an NTFS partition from DOS6 or PC-DOS, which is what Ghost uses, and which is the problem that rgodart has.

AndyF

With his pedantic hat on laugh

Does that mean if i can make ghost boot from caldera dos, it would see NTFS????

NVM i tried it out, it doesn't work. I really wonder what drive image does to see ntfs...