Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GeForce

Win2k / Winxp DUAL-BOOT PROBLEMS

I dualboot windows 98se and windows 2000 pro...my c: drive has win98 and my d: drive has win2000 then i also have another 3 drives which i use for storage (all drives/partitions are physical)Also i have set my windows 2000 paging file (768mb) on my last physical hard disk g:

I got my windows xp rc1 preview cd yesterday so i decided to upgrade my windows 98 install to it, all went fine and i could boot into windows xp and use it with no problems...but...as soon as i booted win2k the 1st dos progress bar (starting windows 2000...) seemed to have disapeared although i could hear disk activity, then after the windows 2000 logo all seemed to load ok up until the point where the desktop was almost going to appear (after setting profiles blah) then i got a bsod

STOP:

blah blah PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

ADDRESS 8052AF51 BASE AT 804D0000 DATESTAMP 3AD7AD60 - NTOSKRNL.EXE

I tried a number of things to fix it, playing with my paging settings mainly which had no effect so in the end i put everything back to how it was that i had changed to get it right...then i went into xp and uninstalled it to revert to win98 - now everything is fine

I hope some1 can help me with this, i would like to try windows xp and see what all the fuss is about, but not at the expense of my brilliantly running win2k install

I kno this is a double post from the other dualboot question but it seemed either nobody knew the answer to this question, or the original post stopped people from looking at more recent replies to it.

Thanks again.

I have had that error, but it seems to be gone with rc2. The grey loading bar has still disappeared (not that I miss it).

I too have had a couple of ntoskrnl.exe bsod's but only with 1 game.

Don't know the solution, but I wouldn't *upgrade* Win98 with XP. I would do a clean install on a separate partition to your other OS's.

Never upgrade! Always do a clean install, even if you have the upgrade disk, all you should have to do is have the older OS disk handy for proof of prior ownership.

well I did a clean istall twice and had the same problems....guess I'll have to wait till i get RTM version

Thx for the posts anyway, i will try a clean install today and see how it goes although i will probably just get hold of rc2 or wait for rtm now...btw has there been a date set roughly for the release of windows xp to the computer manufactures? I could have swarn i seen somewhere it was August?!?! hehe

thanks again smile