Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rgodart

Via KT133A or AMD AMD761???

I'm planning to buy an Athlon 1,2 GB but i can't make a choice between

AMD 761 and via133A based motherboards??

1. Will the 761 give more stability than that freakin VIA???

2. Does the 761 only support DDR, or can i just put my pc133 sticks in it.

Thanks

every single AMD-VIA config that i have seen or used has had problems, even though an Intel-VIA config works fine, go with the AMD 761.

OK, but is the AMD 761 compatible with pc133 ram?

(sorry, i've done some research on the net but nowhere i could find that info)

from what i understand, the 761 only supports DDR memory at the moment and there's a shade of doubt that it will ever support standard SDRAM

Well thanks a lot, for the links, and for confirming what was said there.

It seems via is my only choice then frown

The only time I've ever had a problem with Via based chipsets, is with the Geforce 2 and the SBLIVE!. There are no issues now that stand out that would prclude you from buying Via.

Well i'm gonna give you the list of the components i plan on putting into the AMD system (currently all this is running on a P3 800 with abit be6-2):

Hercules Geforce DDR

Soundcard: Hercules fortissimo 2

Maxtor ATA100 30 GB

512 MB pc133

Pinnacle TV Card

D-link NIC

Pioneer DVD drive

HP 8200i CD-RW

Also, i only have a 250W PSU, i guess i'd better get a 300W??

I may be buying a geforce 2 Pro once, what were the issues with it and VIA?? Are they solved now?

It would be a good idea to get a bigger psu, 300 should be fine as u said. Is ddr mem the only reason you are going via over amd? cos if it is i would just buy the ddr mem and get the amd, its the same price as 133 mem now 8)

Or you could get a board with both DDR and SDR slots. Asus and MSI both carry them, and you could always get the DDR later.

An msi BOard with one stick of 128 DDR ram would cost you mere pennies. THo you are using a Via chipset, its rock solid for me

"Damn that Michael Douglas!"

If you are looking at a VIA chipset go with the Abit-KG7 raid or basic. I recently built my friend a system pretty much similar to mine T-bird 1.33 and Abit KT7a. Out of the box the thing wouldnt get farther than 3 mins in windows, then i went to VIA hardware and checked the KT7a FAQ and updated the BIOS to 4r and turned P&P OS Off in the BIOS and now the thing is rock solid stable. No SB Live! issues or GeForce 2 issues. So the problems with VIA have pretty much been sorted out you just need to update the BIOS on the boards.

Quote:

Also, i only have a 250W PSU, i guess i'd better get a 300W??

i believe 300w is a requirment for amd athlon am i wrong?

if you buy a **** motherboard you will have problems. That is why if your buying motherboards you go with Abit or Asus. I have never had a problem with mobos from those companies. They might be a bit more expensive but its worth it.