Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rgodart

Boot.ini question

I got a ata100 drive connected to a pci ata100 controller. this is my boot drive an all win2k boot files reside on it.

I installed winMe on a ata33 drive on the IDE1 controller of my mobo.

What lines do i have o add to make the boot menu see winMe??? My current boot.ini looks lijke this:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

just add this line to boot.ini:

c:/="Microsoft Windows ME"

This is because windows me and windows 9x always put their boot up files into your boot drive (c:\)- so just add the line above to boot into win me.

win me should have added itself to the boot loader anyways...

That doesn't work. The computer just resets when i choose "Windows Me" in the boot menu. Here's how i installed everything:

1) DISK 1, on the promise pci controller: win2k

2) A few weeks later i decided to install winMe on DISK 2, on the default motherboard controller (cuz of a scanner that doesn't work in win2k).

I can boot either OS by changing the first boot device... But i wondered if it was also possible to do it through a bootmenu.

I have done dual boots before, using the win2k boot loader, but both operating systems were on the same HD then, winme on a primary an win2k on a logical partition. So win2k put its bootfiles on the winMe partition, then what "bobbinbrisco" said worked.

Do i have to put my win2k bootfiles on the winMe harddisk?????

If yes, which files do i have to move?

i have recently installed 2 operating systems on separate disks, that is i have 2 harddrives that aren't partitioned. So i have a c:\ and a d:\ .

i installed winme first into d:\ (2nd hard disk) and win2k later on

c:\(1st hard disk). this is what my boot.ini file looks like:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

C:\ = "Microsoft Windows Millenium Edition"