Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hammr

Should i?

hello, i could use some advise,i figuered this was the best place =)

i'm using win98se right now and i can't take the unreliability anymore,driving me nuts,i'm a avid gamer though,do games run fine in win 2k? i have a geforce 3,512 ram,asus 4x agp mobo,SB Live. the games i mostly run are Half life counter-strike,unreal tournament,quake 3,soldier of fortune,Tribes 2..any probs w/ these games? Thanks for any advise!!! smile

Towards the upper right of the forums is a button labeled "search"....use it, it will show you miraculous things.

Also on the front page on the right hand side is a section labeled Compatibility...Notice the section called Games? Look in there, you will be suprised at how enlightened you will feel.

Ed

i felt like i should give you a much more friendly answer than that EM-guy. jeezes this guy will scare new members away from the forum, if he doesn't have time to answer questions, then he shouldn't even bother typing those almost-insulting-lines. anyway, i'm a little sick of whiners: "blabla, go check this first, do more research before posting in forums, yada yada, this doesn't belong in this thread, moderators please move this topic!, bla yada yada".

To answer your question:

------------------------

Your setup is very good (i'm assuming you got a fast cpu with that geforce 3) to run games in win2k (especially the RAM part, win2k uses a lot of ram for its basic services (140 MB is used here right now), so 256 is the minimum for games. And the geforce 3, i don't know any issues with win2k. Use the compatibility list on this site to determine if you games will run on win2k.

I can tell you Half life,unreal tournament,quake 3 and soldier of fortune work great. I don't have tribes, so i can't help you there.

Anyway, welcome to win2k and to this forum smile

The only games that have caused a lot of hubub have been from EA, which seems to refuse to support Win2k.

I've heard something about Tribes being an issue, but I can't verify that. Same deal with SoF.

I found out something that has worked so far: if the box supports NT4 and 98, it should run under Win2k.

You can also check the NTCompatible database for even faster response too. Helped me before.

Hey brian, what problem do you get wit SOF? 2 people told me they couldn't install the game, but here it has allways worked fine.

I don't have it, but I thought I'd heard of some problems with it.

May want to check the Games section of the NTCompatible site, not the forums, too.

in my opinion, Win9x doesn't have the ability to manage memory well if it's over 128mb, it just sucks bad and should have never been created, we all could have lived with NT.

HL:CS, UT, q3, SOF, and Tribes 2 all work perfect on win2k for me. I'm running on a P3 600Mhz, Geforce2 GTS, 384MB of RAM, Sblive Value, and a old CRAP VIA Apollo Pro mobo from a compaq frown My Abit BE6-2 was hosed frown But everything works fine even on that POS.