Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
miku

Email and ICS

Hi Guys,

I can get my POP email on my main server. I have ICS enabled on my server, but cant get that same POP mail on the workstation.

ARC

I know that when I was running ICS, I had to use the full domain name of the mail server. On the server, I could just use "mail" for the server name. But on the workstation I had to use "mail.xxx.home.com"

oh thanks

I am also on home.com, but dont know the exact, xxx.home.com mail server name. How can I get it.

Miku

The easist way to do it is go to the command prompt and type "ping mail"

you should get something like this back:

Pinging mail.plano1.tx.home.com [24.0.95.227] with

Reply from 24.0.95.227: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=247

Reply from 24.0.95.227: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=247

The server name is the top part, in my case "mail.plano1.tx.home.com"

"Ping Mail" would assume that there is a NetBIOS resolution (such as a WINS server on a network with "mail" already assigned) for the name "mail" to an actual IP. So, if you don't have a name resolver with that entry, then executing that command will not help you.

As for where to get the POP info, try going online to www.home.com and using the help link there. They will more than likely list the pop and smtp servers there that you can use. Also, try to use the friendly name (pop.home.com or whatever) as using the IP directly can cause problems later if they change servers.

'ping mail' works perfectly.

I got the server info instantly as kgeissler told

Thanks

Then something, somewhere is translating the name "mail" into an IP for you. So, while it's fine that it worked for you, I would like to know what name resolution service you are using to get it to work.

Well clutch

I dont know what is translating. I have not set any configs. My email server has always been 'mail'. I think my cable modem is translating all that stuff, cause I am not using "any" software for @HOME.

Sorry, I do not know what you are looking for?

ARC

By translating, I am referring to name resolution (where ntcompatible.com equals 216.234.186.180 using DNS) such as DNS to go from a name, like "mail", to an IP address. So, I was just wondering what system would be using the NetBIOS name resolution format in your case. However, I am getting the impression that you might not know, so I was just hoping that someone who does could shed some light on this. Do you have a WINS IP entered into your IP properties? You can see this if you open a command prompt (cmd.exe), and type ipconfig /all. You would then see "Primary WINS Server". The only other methods would be broadcasting and lmhost files, neither of which I could see being particularly attractive in a large scale network like @Home.

On the @home network, we use "mail" for our mail server. "news" for our news server. I think these are part of the DNS lookup on the @home network only.

DNS systems would be following by the domain suffix such as "home.com", and can be non-standard ones like "domain.msft" (".msft" is usually seen in lab networks for MS-based courses). So, somewhere along the line you have something other than DNS resolving the names "mail" and "news". That is rather handy though, as I usually map those names on my networks on the WINS box.

That was it. I could remember "london/perth/brisbane.<something>.msft" but I just couldn't remember the "nwtraders" part.