Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ubu

My Windows 2k won't start up

I would like your help, pleeese! I have tried everything, including sp2. I have been suggested it my be a compatibility problem with my epox 58mvp3. I have k6II 266MHz hdd 3,2GB 64MB ram. Can someone help me?:(

Quote:

I.....I have k6II 266MHz hdd 3,2GB 64MB ram. Can someone help me?:(

You’re very low on resources I think. Have you been able to run win 2k on that computer?
I have a P3 800 Mhz and 128 Mb of pc 133 ram, but sometimes i run out of ram. but you know how win2k manages it!

when you say its not startup, does that mean you have a BSOD at startup or lockup or...? plz be specific.

Myu friend has a p2 233 64M RAM, it runs win2k slow but fine.

I have heard of some motherboard's BIOS being incompatible with Win2k, so you may have to download and flash a new BIOS.

I'd also suggest grabbing at least another 64MB of ram too.

Yes, as FatFish was talking about the Win2k startup, what do you mean it doesn't start up? BSOD, lockup, error, reboot?

It may take your system quite awhile to boot up with the resources you have.

It will only start in Directory Services or something. It has done this also on install.

When the splash screen comes out it locks. I thought this was a new feature of the w2k laughwink

Quote:
I have heard of some motherboard's BIOS being incompatible with Win2k, so you may have to download and flash a new BIOS

however how dangerous is bios up[censored]?

how many of u did this?

It's is a little confusing, but always make sure to backup, I repeat backup, the current BIOS. You will have to download the BIOS, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to download the latest BIOS flasher for your particular BIOS; i.e if your BIOS is an Award BIOS, use that BIOS flashing program and get it off your motherboard company's website.

You will need a bootable floppy disk in a pure dos environment, so have a Windows 98 boot floppy handy. I personally use a second floppy to backup the current BIOS to and flash from, but you don't have to.

If you still have your manual, it may have instructions on how to do this, but it varies from company to company.

A bad time to flash your BIOS is when you may experience a power outage, like during a storm. Once the program starts erasing and writing the BIOS----DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!!! it will tell you when it's completed the flash and whether it's successful.

I've done this several times, and with no ill effects. Basically, follow the directions closely--maybe even read through the steps before you flash, and keep the directions handy during the flashing process.

Many current motherboards have a jumper or a setting in BIOS to prevent accidental erasure of the BIOS, and thus must be disabled or things are no go. Check your manual.

It's nothing to sweat if you follow the directions exactly and don't do it when the chance of losing power is greater than usual. You will not be in windows, only a pure DOS environment, so it is command line only land.

The bad part about flashing the BIOS is that if it is interrupted during the process, you will not be able to boot up the machine!

Again, read the directions carefully and you will be fine. If you're especially queasy about it, you can take it to a PC shop and have them do it, though it will cost you.

Directory Service?

Are you installing Professional or Server?

If i remember right, directory service mode is used for you to fix the active directory database in win2k server., but i could be wrong.

Quote:
Directory Service? Are you installing Professional or Server?
If i remember right, directory service mode is used for you to fix the active directory database in win2k server., but i could be wrong.

win2k professional, not server.