Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ali

P4 1.4N? oooooh, shiiinyyy!!!

To day we just received new computers with P4 1.4 N on them. Well the only difference I saw first was it was installed on a new Intel Motherboard and it was using SDRAM. But when I wanted to change the processor with a P4 1.5 Ghz. I found out that under the huge heat sink and the big fan there is a very small (miniature size) P4!!!! shocked

So does that mean that the older P4 are not compatible with the new ones at all? I mean you can’t mix the old P4 with SDRAM. No matter what motherboard you have?

Is the CPU itself different than the old one? Or just it doesn’t have the big green part around it?

confused

That is one of the reason that the P4 was not well recieved by enthusiasts - Intel said form the beginning that they would be changing the form facter, so that older P4 setups [socket 423] wouldn't be compatible with the new form factor [socket 478]. As far as I know, this isn't directly related to the RAM type.

-bZj

guys have you ever heard anything about socket 845!!!?? confused

that's what they call it in the store. i can't really trust that but i can't see the chipsen neither. the systems come pre-built so i can't change anything. (the socket number and name of the manufacturer is under a another big hitsink that i can't remove! it's more like they use glue to stick it down!! )confused

i just found out today the Cpu itself has more pins than the older p4's. but the pins are fit in a smaller area and the chip is a bit bigger than the old one when you put it on top of each other.

it has got a much larger fan and heatsink plus tons of gel on it.

these are what you may see from outside but i don't know anything about inside it. frown

does all that make a difference?

I'm sure it does, but I wouldn't sweat it. You got the right P4 for the future, so long as Intel doesn't change the socket again.