Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
reversing_drive

IE6 isn't overly bloated is it ???

How does IE6 measure up, speed-wise on slower machines (PII 400mhz, 128mb PC100 RAM).

I know when i tried Netscape6 it was very slow on startup, and it had a whole lot of other programs & sh!t included which i didn't want.

How customisable is the installation of IE6 for Win2K SP2?

I'm not really into skins and other "Bells & Whistles", can these be disabled on installation, and they do retain the original IE skin, right???

My 4 Priorities:

i) Securitycool

ii) Stability smile

iii) Speed:D

iv) Lean:p(Not Bloated)

So how does IE6 measure up?

Cheers,

IE6 is everything except bloatware. It's fast, stable, looks like IE5 no skins. It's IE5 with improved security and a handy picture bar that appears when you put your mouse over a picture, which makes saving pictures a piece of cake.

I really recommend IE6. It's great. Loads as fast as IE5, and surfing seems faster.

Their is nothing to configure in the install as there is no useless crap installed with it, just the bare IE6.

install it, you won't regret it.

I used the last beta of IE6.. and I didn't like it.

I reinstalled Windows so that I could go back to IE 5.5.. that's how much I disliked it. It has this annoying feature where pictures are resized automatically to fit your window.. so clicking on thumbnails for example would result in pictures that were not much bigger sometimes. You can turn this feature off, but it's one more step that is unnessecary. I also DON'T like that picture bar. I don't like having that thing pop up right on top of the picture when my mouse goes over it. Perhaps there is a way to turn that off too.

I also encountered some stability and speed issues with the Beta 2.. but it COULD just be because it was Beta. As for me, I'll stick with 5.5 until I try **gulp** Windows XP Final (which will be tonight). Not looking forward to that, but I feel obliged to try it out. I just didnt have many good experiences with the Betas...

Wanna talk about bloatware? Then let's talk about Windows XP :-)

I installed two different betas [for testing]. I uninstalled both of them after weeks of use. I'll stick to IE5.5, SP1. I've found nothing usefull in IE6.

-bZj

Amen brutha

Don't go to IE 6. No real improvements, only annoyances.

Both of the annoying features that Atreya talked about can be easily turned off by taking checks out of there boxes in Internet Options--->Advanced tab. I'm currently running IE 6 final on my work computer a Compaq 333Mhz w/PC-66 memory and it runs great, not slow at all. I love it. I use it on my home computer as well of course. It doesn't seem any different than IE 5.5 other than it seems alot of bugs were fixed. Like the infamous script error bug that IE 5.5 had when you tried to print web pages.

I figured there were easy ways to turn that stuff off. Maybe I'll give it a try again soon. I'm just not one of those "early adopter" people. Plus, I only tried the beta version... anyways, enjoy!

I've been running IE6 since the first build was leaked ages ago. I didn't like it to begin with, but now we are at the final build, I can say that I much prefer it to 5.5. I personally like the new features, and yes, they can be switched off with a simple checkbox. It loads quicker, is more responsive, and doesn't seem to hang about as much as IE5.5 did.

Go for it smile

I also use Opera and much appreciate it, but it tends to crash often (v5.12, latest), but I do like the recovery system !

I also use IE6, but it's all 'new', I didn't really tested it yet, as time goes by....

whenever i use ie(even 6.0) i have to refresh everytime i want to see the updated site. If i go to a site i haven't been to before it works fine but if i go again regardless of whether the site has been updated or not it will show me the same site as before. Is there a way to fix this?

Opera has never crashed but when it does it is another program's fault.

Go to Tools -> Internet Options -> General -> Settings...

Make sure that it is set to check newer versions of stored pages.

Set it to "Every visit to the page" if necessary.