Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sporeburst

Access Violations

Hello, I'm getting alot of Access Violation errors with Quake3, EverQuest, etc. I will be playing, and all of the sudden, it will cause an error and it will shut down. I look at the error message in Event Viewer and it will say it caused an Access Violation. Any ideas? :\

Dear fellow, access violations are usually caused by one of two reasons:

1.) Some program tried to access memory that it doesn't have the rights to. This occurs when a lot of programs are running as one program may try to "steal" memory either from the Operating system (windows) or another program. A good idea in such a situation would obvioulsy to be close down as many running programs as possible.

2.) Some program may be trying to access the NULL memory address, which is a location in memory that should be "off limits" to any program. When something like this occurs, you have an access violation. If a program may cause an access violation in this way, a good thing to try would be to get the latest patch/update/etc to both the program (or game) AND the Operating system.

So to keep it short try the following:

1.)get the latest updates/patches to both the game or prpgram and windows, and install them of coarse.

2.) shut down as many applications as possible before running the game (or program).

following 2.) usually also helps performance too!

Also, are you running windows 95/98/Me? The notorious win9x/me operating systems seem to throw access violation errors left and right depending on their moods ;-) If you ARE running any of those OSs, I STRONGLY recommend considering an upgrade to windows 2000!

Good luck. I hope this helps!

I'm running Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 2.

I downloaded all of the Windows Update files from Microsoft's website. Also those access violations cause Kmode_exception_not_handled and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.. They all pinpoint to the access violations.

Beats me dude! sorry I can't be of any further asisstance. However, I still beleive that the hints in my previous post are good strategies to consider. good luck. let us know how things are going!

:-)peace

Well, there are quite a few non-windows-basic processes running in the background. They are as follows:

tcpsvcs.exe - 2,768K (???)

mspmspsv.exe - 1,352K (???)

inetinfo.exe - 8,496K (???)

IEXPLORE.EXE - 11,980K (Internet explorer windows [several of them])

msmsgs.exe - 4,128K (MSN messenger)

total amount of memory used by those processes = 28,724KB (i.e almost 28MB)

I would close down some of those, especially internet explorer and inteinfo.exe (if possible) since those alone take up a whopping 20MB of RAM!!! even though this may not seem like a significant figure (especially if you have at least 128 megs of ram), they still do use some processing power. So try to close them down.

As for the IRQ____..... message, I honestly have no clue. My best guest is to try to un-install/re-install the program. Otherwise you may have to format. Sorry dude, I have no idea what that error message means! Good luck, though. :-)

First right click My Computer, Manage, System Information, Hardware Resources, conflicts/sharing and check if there is an IRQ conflict either for graphics card driver or for Sound card driver.

When messages about Access, sometimes IRQ, sometimes KMode occur a bit randomly then Ram stick problems are most probably involved. Cut power and see what happens after switching a ram stick. For example plug Rem sticks in Motherboard slot 1 and 3 instead of 1 and 2. Then remove one Ram stick at a time and see if anything improves. Ram may also be defective.

I put my RAM Stick in slot 3 and it seemed to run quake ALOT longer than expected. About an hour or so longer hehe.

I got kmode though

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000001e (0xc0000005, 0x0080bca7, 0x00000001, 0x00000000). Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195]. A dump was saved in: C:\WINNT\Minidump\Mini083101-01.dmp.

are you overclocking?

maybe bad ram?

Does it happen only when you are playing quake?

Where does the Access Violation log located at? application or system?

are you overclocking?

maybe bad ram?

Does it happen only when you are playing quake?

Where does the Access Violation log located at? application or system?

Not Overclocking.

Happens when I play EverQuest, Quake1, The Sims.

It's logged in System for the Kmodes, etc

what video card do you have? did you try different drivers?

Does these error occur happen when you are running some intensive graphic programs, e.g. benckmark, photoshop....?

I have a Geforce2 MX 32mb. I have Detnoator 3 drivers right now 12.41. I haven't tried different drivers. Perhaps maybe going back to a different version maybe?

I don't run any graphics programs like photoshop