Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shyguy

weirdest video problem i've ever had

ok, this is my story:

recently i found good old Win-Lemmings in a corner of my harddisk. i thought, "yeah, give it a try after all those years"...ok, i started up, and got a warning about my video settings: something about that Win-Lemmings would prefer 256-color-mode and that my current setting is only 1-color-mode (!!)...actually i was running in 16-bit-colors...

ok, i didnt care about that silly message, clicked it away and started a game. after 2 minutes my computer froze, and i had to do a cold restart.

ok, i log in, enter my desktop and suddenly it all turns to grey. yes, my whole desktop was now colored in a grey-scale. UGLY! i tried different color-settings, but everything above 256 colors just turned into a grey-scale!! i have absolutely NO clue what i can do about this. it seems as if the win-lemming application somehow locked my color-settings. 256 colors works, but thats no option.

i have a rather old video card, a STB Velocity with the Riva 128 chip. my OS is Win2K SP2 with DirectX 8.0a installed. i wasnt able to install any other video-driver because i didnt find any...only the built-in velocity-driver.

i tried deleting the video-card and let win2k search again for it, but that didnt help -> same problem. i also deleted all registry-entries from winlemmings, no success!

so, anyone has a clue whats the cause of all this and how it can be reverted?

thx a lot...

yeah, i just installed the built-in riva128 driver...didnt work...i think, this is because they're using the same files (nv3.dll and nv3.sys)...OMG, this SUX!

detonators dont support the riva128, right?

I don't think the Riva128 is supported by the detonator driver set, it isn't listed in the 'chipsets this driver covers' area.

Also, from a quick look around NVidia's web site it would appear that the only Win2k drivers for it are the built in ones (well they are the only ones that NVidia themselves have written, I guess your card manufacturer may have written newer ones).