Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
loosenut

security settings in Win2K

I'm running Win2k, and I'm having problems accessing some hardware when I login as a Power User. If I run Nero 5.5, or Sound Forge/CD Architect, I can't access my Yamaha CD-burner in those programs. I can still access the CD drive(s) from explorer, but no burning.

Also, I'm running ASUS Probe, and it runs, but where the motherboard temperature information usually shows up, there is nothing.

When logged in as administrator, these things work fine.

Any idea how I can fix? Is there some security setting I need to modify?

Thanks!

I missed this one, but here's what you need. You will have to add the "load device drivers" right to the power users group if you wish to continue working in this mode. So, at this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q297/7/80.ASP

it shows a brief overview of what you are doing (yes, it is in WinXP, but the layout sounds similar). Now, at this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q256/3/45.ASP

it shows how to get there if you are using a domain. Basically, just add the device driver right to your power users group, and then reboot. Now, if it doesn't work the first time, you might have to logout/reboot again because some of the policy functions will only show up on the first reboot, and not get applied yet.

Sorry if I'm not following you correctly, but I think I already did that. I go to Under Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Local Security Policy. Then under local policies>User Rights Assignment, I click on "Load and Unload Device Drivers". My Power Users already have that policy setting enabled.

So where can I go from here? I don't seem to have Active Directory installed. Do I need to install it, and if so, how can I do that? Or is that just necessary to fix this problem if I'm running in a domain (which I'm not)?

Thanks for your help!