Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

458 megs PC133 and 20.5 GIG and 45 GIG HDS. What to set win2

- you definately want to set the pagefile to be of a fixed size (initial and max size to be equal)

- you should also set the pagefile to reside on the other physical harddrive (i.e. the one where windows is not)

You may set the pagefile to reside on both drives, Windows can't write a memory dump when crashing to another drive than the boot one. I find this dump to be of no use whatsoever and only have my page file on the other drive.

There appears to be several shools of thought about the size. Not too small, not to big... It depends on how many and what type of apps you use (editing videos vs playing Quake for example) Regardless of how much RAM you have W2K needs a pagefile. I'd say try setting it to 300MB, I doubt that that will ever be too small.

H

Just a little addition to the above: moving the page-file to a different physical drive will be of more use if the drive is also on a separate IDE channel.

As for size, I'm of the "fixed 1.5 x actual RAM" school of thought. But then again, I don't know many ppl who could use a 600+MB page-file [i top out around 200MB swapped, even w/heavy multitasking], so ~300 is probably fine. We'll see how that changes when I get my 256MB in the mail soon which will bring me to 512MB....

-bZj

Just curious, how do you have 458 megs of RAM :confused

I have 512 MB RAM, with 1x256, and 2x128.