Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ftmiranda

WindowsXP File Sharing Through Router Problem

Hey ya!

Here is the picture of the situation....

3 computers connected to a D-Link Router D-i804

1st computer WindowsXP Final

2nd computer Windows98

3rd Computer WindowsMe

All the computers have the settings to use automatic settings on the network, since the D-link router has a DHCP server built in, it assigns IPs for all my machines.

But There is a problem.... The computers are not able to see each other!

I'm pretty sure that all computers and the router have the same domain name.

Before I installed WindowsXP I have Windows2000 Pro, and the sharing file option would work if I install NetBEUI, but since WindowsXP does not support NetBEUI anymore, is there an another way to make the file sharing work between they OSes(XP, 98 and Me).

I can solve the problem by installing NetBEUI to the XP system, but is there any other way to make this file sharing work w/o NetBEUI? Like jsut using TCP/IP?

Thanks a lot!!!

cool ftmiranda

Is it(NetBIOS) anable by default in the TCP/IP?

I'll check.... but that will solve my problem?

cool

ftmiranda

It may not, I am not sure with WinXP. I use DHCP on my WinNT/2K servers to assign DNS and WINS servers, and that also enables NetBIOS over TCP/IP. If you enable it, it will allow for name resolution information to be passed along with the packet info. That way, you can use the familiar "\\MYPC" or whatever, and Network Neighborhood will (tend to) work properly as well.

How do I set uo this WINS Server? What should I know about it to implement in my network? Maybe that's what's missing here....

thanks

ftmirandacool

How many machines are on your network? I tend to set it up whenever I setup a server just out of habit. Most peer-to-peer setups don't require this level of name resolution. If you just make sure that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is setup, you should be fine.

I have three computers in the network, it's basically a P2P network.

But since I'm using the router w/ the DHCP server, if I only set up the TCP/IP the computers cannot find each other, they can access the internet but they can't access each other....

Do you know how can I make them access each other w/o NetBEUI? only using TPC/IP?

And what about that WINS server you told me?

Thanks!

ftmirandacool