Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jeff123df2

Internet Explorer

I've got a newbie question.

I installed IE6, after doing so, this is the first time that this has een happening to me.

When i download some files on some websites, including a couple files on the download.cnet website, they dont prompt me where to save, it saves to my temporary internet files directory instead of prompting me where to save it.

Do you know exactly why this happens? How to fix it?

Try this: Go to Tools->Internet Options->Advanced. Under the list of Browsing options (it's the 2nd list) there's two Install On Demand options. Make sure the one for IE is unchecked.

thank you very much Brian Frank,

everything that Inray posted in that message applied to my problem!

"except for I always have unchecked the "Confirm open after download" checkbox on "Folder Options" - "File types", at least for common extensions (.ZIP etc) "

This option had to be checked before i installed ie6 and i put the check back in that option, because afterwards i just remember now and forgot to post this, files i download with the zip extension would open after i download them automatically.

but that is not the only thing..

what Fatfish said about the security options, setting them to low just fixed it right now as i speak.

thanks again Brian Frank smile

The first time the File Download dialog came up, i unchecked the

"always ask before opening the file or saving it to your computer?"

option.

this probubly unchecked that option in the windows folder options for that file type as well.

then by going into folder options and rechecking that option,

then resetting the security of the browser, it once again prompts me before saving files. smile

even after putting my security back up to medium, the browser will always open the file download dialog prompt.

I learned that you have to do "both" of those steps in order to fix this problem if you ever uncheck the that box in the download dialog.

It does make me wonder why setting the security in internet options to low, aided in fixing it. I understand why going to folder options and checking the box helped. But then putting the security back up to medium didnt hurt anything.

its kind of weird how making a change in the security helped.